republican congressman wants our tax dollars to pay his rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

republican congressman wants our tax dollars to pay his rent

He told The Hill on Monday that "I really do believe Congress would be much better served if there was a housing allowance for members of Congress," given that "Washington, D.C., is one of the most expensive places in the world." He said that "a $2,500 housing allowance would be appropriate and a real help to have at least a decent quality of life in Washington."
    apparently being in the six-figure club and raking in those lobbyist dollars on the side isn't enough?
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Of course he does... at least his term is done.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

I mean come on, he ONLY makes at least $173k per year!

How is one supposed to live on such meager means?
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Can I haz McLaren 720s subsidy?

Discover McLaren 720S - a lighter, stronger and faster supercar. Raise your limits in the best supercar in the world. Configure your 720S and enquire to buy.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Have any of you worked a great distance from home, for extended periods of time and have to maintain 2 residences, live out of hotels 200+ nights a year?? In this case 1 of which is in 1 of the highest cost of living cities in the nation. 173k is not going to go as as far as you think it will.

That said is the request reasonable...... yes, the amount might be a little bit of a big ask though, and maybe should be a resonoable percentage of median rent costs with in a given distance of the capital to assist in those costs not pay for them outright.

As someone that spends 200 to 300 nights plus away from home, it would not be worth my time to be out of pocket for travel housing. Our Perdiem rates double for work in the nyc, sf, dc, chicago,la and similar high cost of living areas
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

There it is boys.

Sleeve they get a hotel allowance, this is just asking for more from a guy who is already an ass.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Have any of you worked a great distance from home, for extended periods of time and have to maintain 2 residences, live out of hotels 200+ nights a year?? In this case 1 of which is in 1 of the highest cost of living cities in the nation. 173k is not going to go as as far as you think it will.

That said is the request reasonable...... yes, the amount might be a little bit of a big ask though, and maybe should be a resonoable percentage of median rent costs with in a given distance of the capital to assist in those costs not pay for them outright.

As someone that spends 200 to 300 nights plus away from home, it would not be worth my time to be out of pocket for travel housing. Our Perdiem rates double for work in the nyc, sf, dc, chicago,la and similar high cost of living areas
              you actually do work though

on one hand almost every single one of these reps and senators are independently wealthy before they even run for office and many of them only get wealthier from their time on the job or the doors that are opened for them after their terms allow them even greater access

but on the other hand if you actually had regular people in these jobs they should be compensated for their expenses

Comment

In this case 1 of which is in 1 of the highest cost of living cities in the nation.
                cry me a fucking river. i'm moving to *the* most expensive city in the country this weekend and i'm making it work with my own salary.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                  cry me a fucking river. i'm moving to *the* most expensive city in the country this weekend and i'm making it work with my own salary.
                  But are going to have to maintain your current Residence at the same time with in that salary as well...

Why is he an ass, because he's an R or a cheap ass morman form slc.....or because he's asking for compensstion.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Yeah, these guys need more money. The median cost for an apartment in DC is $2000 as of March 2015. Sorry, just because you're a representative from southern MS doesn't mean you're entitled to live in a damn palace.

And $173k is the base, committee appointments, etc, all add to that number.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

But are going to have to maintain your current Residence at the same time with in that salary as well....
                      Cool story.

I didn't realize they were forced into the lavish lifestyle as a national representative.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Cool story.

I didn't realize they were forced into the lavish lifestyle as a national representative.
                        Qft

Who made them take the job?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

And a nice little loophole about travel:

"None of these totals include hundreds of other trips for which the military provides transportation; the costs of using those military aircraft are never disclosed."

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Disgusting.

Get them out!
                            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

But are going to have to maintain your current Residence at the same time with in that salary as well...
                              i could if i had to.

Why is he an ass, because he's an R or a cheap ass morman form slc.....or because he's asking for compensstion.
                              how about all of the above?

but especially the first because the Rs are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, and if they take that stance, i expect them to lead by example and not request a housing stipend that is larger than lots of americans' paychecks because "my lifestyle".
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Working...
                              X