Help with timing parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with timing parts

So I have torn my engine down and have removed the timing chain. It seems that I need to replace 3 of the 4 guides and all the sprockets. Does anyone know a good place to buy them? I'm sure I can get them from the dealer but would like to get the best price on them.

///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Buy the parts you need from Patrick at BMAparts.com

Call them up and ask for him, tell them I or R3V sent you and he will take care of you.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill contact them on Monday.

Comment

I called BMAparts today and got eveything I needed. I wasn't able to speak with Patrick but Yves was pretty helpful. He even price matched the deflection wheel for me.

Parts list totaling almost $500 so far but by doing it myself I'm sure I'll have saved at least that much in labor!

Comment

Why are you replacing the sprockets?

Originally posted by vlad
            Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Did you not see how badly worn they are?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i see it now, i forgot what those are supposed to look like but after a quick google search i see how bad those are.

Whats the story on this engine?

Originally posted by vlad
                Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I would try bavauto.com
                  sigpic
                  24v swapped

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                    i see it now, i forgot what those are supposed to look like but after a quick google search i see how bad those are.

Whats the story on this engine?
                    The story is this car will be my commuter from Omaha, Ne to Kansas City, MO over the winter. I bought it with 155k miles on it and no TC done. I knew the car needed a new tensioner but after replacing it the engine was still making a slight "wirring" noise. I popped the valve cover and inspected the chain, guides and sprockets and discovered all of them needed to be replaced.

:)

Comment

I finally got my parts in from BMA. They had to special order some parts in from Germany so it seemed like it took forever. Here are some pics of my $600 bill.

All of it spread out...

New vs. Old...

Here is a shot of a brand new Timing chain sprocket for an M42 for those who are interested in comparing their old ones.

Entire sprocket.

This surprised me when I opened it. I thought from comparing my old crank sprocket with my cam sprockets that I needed a new one of these. From looking at it though, my old ones edges are only a bit sharper. Oh well, better to replace all of it and get it done with.

This weekend the fun begins. I still have to finish cleaning the surfaces for the new gaskets and degrease the engine, etc. Hopefully I will get it back together soon so that I can put my 325is in the garage and get started on it.

Comment

Here is an update. Looking good so far. I realized that I forgot a few parts so I'll be adding another $50 to the total cost. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will be here before next weekend and I can get this running again.

Comment

Looks like you're making good progress! Props man!

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Alright, I got it all back together and it runs great. It makes a nice whirring sound now instead of a chatter from the timing chain. I do have a problem though, it is running pretty hot and the heater is not blowing hot air. Before the tear down it was running at the half mark on the temp gauge and the heater worked fine. I did flush the coolant system but did not change the thermostat. I'm not sure if its an air pocket or the thermostat. Any ideas?

Comment

Jak, what parts did you order besides the ones listed on B Purcell's site? I'm getting ready to do this job soon and don't want the car down for more than a day.

Did you ever figure out your running hot issue?

Comment

Working...
                              X