No announcement yet.

Decking Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont want to give you misinformation, so you should double check, but at .020" you should have no problem with the original timing. Being that minimal of a timing difference I really doubt you'll notice it being off.
    Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
      86mm pistons?? DAMN! That sounds sweet. Hmm...I'd love to get different pistons. Would really love that. You're buying MM pistons, then? Having the block decked about .010" and installing MM 86mm high CR pistons?

How much are they?

Makes sense now. I'll maybe have the shop deck the block close to .020" - would I still be able to use stock timing for that, and it would probably raise compression close to 8.8 right?
      $175 each, $200 more for a set compared to IE/JE, but it shouldn't burn oil. ;)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
        $175 each, $200 more for a set compared to IE/JE, but it shouldn't burn oil. ;)
        Why would they burn oil otherwise?

Thanks for the info, EtaSport! I appreciate it! :)
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
          Why would they burn oil otherwise?
          The forged pistons have to allow for a lot more expansion when the heat up. JE tends to cut them smaller so when they expand the correct piston to wall clearance is gained. This causes oil consumption when the engine is cold. MM has come up with a way to lessen the clearance when cold and still be within spec on expansion. I forget what they did, but its in their brochure.
          Old and improved:

Comment

higher sillicone content, ~13% compared to 1% in JE pistons. this allows them to run much tighter cylinder wall clearances as they don't expand nearly as much. when you are talking about ~$850 for JE pistons, another $200 isn't going to make a large difference in the overall cost.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X