No announcement yet.

'89 316i E30 LS1 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you have an awesome car collection, is that somewhat typical for Kuwait?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Not really. Typical owner here has one, MAYBE two modern cars, in the $30K-40K range.

That Wagoneer was headed for the scrapyard. I picked it up for about $1,800. Minimal surface rust on the floor board (chassis and body are rust-free) and a perfect LS swap candidate (already have a 5.7 LS1 & 4L65E trans waiting for a donor vehicle).

Same story with the E30 and cutlass. All in the sub $3K range and neglected. I just hate to see them recycled into the disposable soulless garbage that is today's cars.

The current car list atm is as follows :-
      1989 BMW E30 - Track car (5.7 LS1 / T56 / Gutted)
      1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass - Future Weekend Cruiser (5.7 LS1 / TH200-R4)
      1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Future Camper / Expedition vehicle (5.7 LS1 / 4L65E / NP241c)
      2013 GMC Sierra 4.8L RCSB - Daily Truck
      2014 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport - Current Offroader
      2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan - To be sold
      Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

So happy to see this project coming together. With all the emails and stuff, I'm pretty invested meow.

Comment

What are the specs on those wheels? 16x8 +20? They look great with the R888s on there!
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            What are the specs on those wheels? 16x8 +20? They look great with the R888s on there!
            Yep those are 16x8 +20 on 225mm R888's. It's a VERY tight fit between the shocks and fender. I'm gonna have to roll the fenders are go with 3-5mm spacers all around. I have steering rack spacers to increase angle and the tires hit the chassis before full lock.

Comment

I've got the new fan setup mounted and wired up. After a lot of measuring for clearance, the fans I ended up using were Maradyne/Summit dual 12" puller fans with built-in shroud.

These fit almost perfectly onto the Mishimoto R32 radiator setup I'm running and cover the whole radiator core and best of all they clear all the accessories upfront. Should perform even better than the single 16" pusher I had before. The fans are wired up using a 3-relay setup identical to factory GM setup. The PCM controls the fans through pins 33 & 42 and can operate them in low/high speed depending on ECT.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like engq8d.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like engq8d.

Comment

I have a maradyne fan set up like that in my truck, no issues at all cooling, good deal
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  I have a maradyne fan set up like that in my truck, no issues at all cooling, good deal
                  Thats good to hear. I dont think theres a better option out there without converting to vette accessory spacing and installing slightly larger fan motors

Comment

Front fenders rolled (still gotta finish up the rears tomorrow), idle issues fixed, fan settings tuned, reverse lockout issues fixed and oil temp gauge wired up.

Got my Wilwood F/R BBK along with Lee's install kit. Waiting for brake pads to arrive.

Comment

Man this thing is gorgeous,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                        Man this thing is gorgeous,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Thanks!

Been busy as hell recently with these two builds

Friend's 2001 Jeep Wranger TJ - 5.7 LS1 / AX-15 trans / Stock transfer case

and my 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 5.7 LS1 / 4L60e / Chevy NP241 transfer case

Comment

Great project! Keen to see how it progresses and to learn about how the feel is with the manual brakes and BBK... I was going to go the exact same set-up. Keep it up dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                            I've got the new fan setup mounted and wired up. After a lot of measuring for clearance, the fans I ended up using were Maradyne/Summit dual 12" puller fans with built-in shroud.

Do you have the part number for the fan?
                            First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

These are the fans

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ High-Output Electric Fans with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fans, Electric at Summit Racing.

Comment

Thank you, I just added it to my wishlist.
                                First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Working...
                                X