No announcement yet.

Code:1222 | SOLVED | !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you tossed the new AFM in, did you do an ECU reset?

Might as well try it, it's free. Otherwise it might be prudent to grab a multimeter and do some continuity testing

Comment

Similar experience here lately. After a recent storm I went out and the car started like crap and would not idle. It took 25 minutes on the road to clear out the humidity (and my car does not leak inside). Super humid in other words.

Where am I going with this???

Swapped the ECU and car fired up as usual.

Comment

pack, have you check the rain guards, drains, gutters (whatever they're called)

Update: It was the plugs Wish I started there like a normal person.
        Attached Files
        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

It's running fine now? Great to hear it was only plugs!

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
            It's running fine now? Great to hear it was only plugs!
            It's running great now. I believe it was caused by those insulators. They looked awful. Thank you for the suggestions though! The help was appreciated. I'm also going to PM you about some tuning options.
            20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Just the humidity in the air. Car is dry inside. It was after our recent brutal Nor'easter. I live right on the water - you needed a butter knife to walk to the car LOL.

The problem went away after plugging in a fresh ECU, but I have not tried the old one to see if it just needed resetting.

MPG's have been down lately too. Still skeptical about my experiment with 87 octane and M50 injectors.

I used to get 27 MPG pretty consistently on the highway with 93 Sunoco, but that was a different car (not trying to dig up an octane M50 @ 3.5 conversation her - LOL)

The good news is she is back up and running. Street parking blows!!!

Comment

M50 injectors do not have a better flow dispersal pattern, nor do they operate correctly at 3 bar (they are intended for 3.5bar systems). The drop in pressure will affect the dispersal pattern as well.

And unless you have a proper tune for the injectors, the ECU will be in a constant state of high correction and can throw off your AFR.

Fwiw you're likely to get better economy using stock injectors with the stock ecu/tune. Using differently sized injectors also throws off your OBC mpg reading, since all the OBC calculation is done onboard.

Comment

Squid - Thanks for concluding what I have suspected from experience!

1st lesson: I tried a set of 19 lb. 4-hole injectors in my old 325iX and the plugs ran black - I pulled them and returned to stock 715 injectors with good results.

2nd lesson: I tried a set of M50 injectors at 2.5 bar and 3.0 bar and feel that the car suffered either way. MPG's down, starts up stinky, performance down and I'll be curious to see the state of the plugs.

I have been driving E30 325i/325iX cars exclusively since 1999 so I have a good "feel" for when the cars are off. The only reason I tried "upgrades" was because the 715 injectors are just getting old and harder to find in good condition. Planning to throw the 715s back in until I get one of the SSSquid chips.

Comment

Miss.... Has... Returned... Ran fine for a while at least.

Will be pulling injectors for a detailed cleaning.

I bought another AFM to test and play with. Adjusted the sweeper arm, cleaned the contacts. Pulled the flat spots out and was happy with the results. When completed I noticed I had broke one of the small wires that runs to one of the pins. It was a small non-insulated silver wire. Pin 3 or 2, can't recall. Someone wanna tell me what that tiny little hair of a wire is for?
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Cleaned my injectors. It looked like I pulled 6 black turds out of my fuel rail. Used a whole can of carb cleaner! Will be throwing in new plugs tonight.

The old injectors were so bad I could not see the spindle caps or points.
                      20% Accurate

Comment

Sounds like the exact issues I'm experiencing right now with my car. I have a slew of parts coming in to hopefully fix it. I'll keep you updated if I figure anything out.

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                        M50 injectors do not have a better flow dispersal pattern, nor do they operate correctly at 3 bar (they are intended for 3.5bar systems). The drop in pressure will affect the dispersal pattern as well.

And unless you have a proper tune for the injectors, the ECU will be in a constant state of high correction and can throw off your AFR.

Fwiw you're likely to get better economy using stock injectors with the stock ecu/tune. Using differently sized injectors also throws off your OBC mpg reading, since all the OBC calculation is done onboard.
                        Hmm... Interesting. I currently have cleaned and flow tested M50 injectors in mine too. Might have to revert course on those.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Volvo 3 bar quad-hole injectors are a nice option. I have incredibly mixed results with buying refurbished FMS 19# injectors, I seem to get about a 10-15% failure rate, which is just too high. I gave up stocking injectors and now just point everyone to MEPEH.

So, Herbe30, did the cleaning fix your issue?

Comment

lambo - keep me updated!!!
                            Squid- I thought it did, it was like the previous time when changing the plugs. Runs like a fine tuned Singer for a couple of weeks and then the plugs go lean and I have a miss below 2k. It did seem to help, I guess I will be buying a Walboro and a new FPR.
                            20% Accurate

Comment

Did you end up replacing your o2?

Comment

Originally posted by HerbE30 View Post
                                lambo - keep me updated!!!
                                Alright, so I replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro 255, the fuel hoses that go to the fuel rail and FPR, the ICV with one that I think works properly (it was just in a box of spare parts), the spark plugs with NGK's, and the FPR with a Bosch one from the junkyard (the one I had in it was a no-name brand ebay one). It started up great and when I drove it today it ran beautifully. No misfires from take off or misfires at WOT in high RPM's. I then let it sit for like 20 minutes and tried to start it, started immediately, no issues there. I'm going to daily it for a few days (assuming the weather is decent which it might not be ) and I'll see how it continues to perform.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X