323I head or worked 'E' head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323I head or worked 'E' head

Hey guys as you can tell I'm new here. I have spent the last few days looking a the FAQ section and finding a lot of good information. I had a few question specifically that weren't clearly addressed or I didn't pick up on it one of the two.

1. I have a 84' 325e - I'm also a technician at a BMW dealership so parts are at cost.:D I can get a brand new 323I head, cam, rocker arm shaft and arms, intake and exhaust valves and valve seal springs for about $1800.00. It sounds a little expensive but you don't want to know retail price. I knw these heads are hard to come by that's why I priced new. (no remans avail). All parts coming from germany.

2. Next option is porting and polishing my existing 'E' head and installing Euro spec 323I cam and 325I valve springs. My general question is can this be done and also for the cost of machining and whatever loose ends I will need is it worth it to go with the new parts?

I know I wrote a lot but these are the two avenues I plan to take.

Turbo in near future as well.

as i have owned both of these heads and looking at both I would say the 323i head.the ports on this head are much larger on the intake side. even if you "work" the "e" head you still can't make the ports the same size because there is not enough metal on the head. but for the amount you can buy a used m50 rebuild it with rings bearings etc. and have the same amount of power.
    sigpic

Comment

323i head definantly. I have completed porting/polishing mine out and will be installing it this weekend. With all brand new parts except the cam.

Steven

Comment

After building my e head, I would go 323 if i did it again. Thats a lot of money though. There is a 323i sitting in my local dismantlers, that they want 150 for the head. Maybe I should pick that up.
        Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
          After building my e head, I would go 323 if i did it again. Thats a lot of money though. There is a 323i sitting in my local dismantlers, that they want 150 for the head. Maybe I should pick that up.
          Uhh...yea. If you don't - at least ebay it mang! lol
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by ENTROPY
            2. Next option is porting and polishing my existing 'E' head and installing Euro spec 323I cam and 325I valve springs. My general question is can this be done and also for the cost of machining and whatever loose ends I will need is it worth it to go with the new parts?
            This is exactly what I plan to do do the spare eta head that I have, except I'll be using a 325i cam or possibly a slightly hot aftermarket cam. I have a brand new set of 325i valve springs already, and finding the cam should be pretty easy. In order to run a 325i cam, two additional oil journals have to be drilled in the head, but any competent machine shop can take care of that easily. I'll also be port-matching the intake and exhaust inlets to 325i gasket size, and possibly fitting aftermarket 325i headers, as well as having a 3-anlge valve grind done, and having the whole head rebuilt using all new parts. Since I got the head for free and already have the valve springs, I'll really only be shelling out for all the machine work (port-matching will be done personally by myself and my brother) and the cost of the new head internals. I'll also be swapping over to the full 325i top end including the intake manifold, throttle body, and Motronic 1.3 325i engine management. Should be a pretty fun build up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
              Uhh...yea. If you don't - at least ebay it mang! lol
              lol. Yea, I wanted to get that price in wirting cause I couldnt believe it. Most of those pick your parts just have no idea what they have. I checked on it last week, still there, had to close the hood on the car, but its just waiting for me. Only thing wrong was a snapped rocker. But I'd only be interested in the casting.
              Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
              X