Where to tap M20 for oil pres. gauge???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to tap M20 for oil pres. gauge???

I have the VDO two pole sender, but I have no idea how to mount it. I know I need to tap the oil filter housig, but I don't know exactly where.

Has anyone done this?

Its on a 325iX, but I don't think its a different housing or anything?

J.
    J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

I got an adaptor for the 12mmX1.5mm bolt that the stock oil pressure switch uses. It converts the 12x1.5 into 1/4 NPT. My guage was pipe thread, as most are, so I just plugged the sender into the adapter and ran the wires back to the guage. You could run a little hose to extend out if there is not enough room to plug the sender in right next to the block. Some of the sending unit can be pretty big. Of course I did this on an M30 engine but the M20 uses the same oil pressure sending unit so it should work all the same. I got the adaptor at autozone for like 2 bucks. It was under the fuel line fittings. I just went into the back and looked through all the bolt cases until I found what I needed. I can get you a part number if you need it.

Comment

get a 't' connector. and place this in between the factor oil sender and the block. So the connector at one end screws into the block, make sure its the same thread size and pitch. then screw the factory one in one hole and the other one in the other hole. You can get these connection from any good hydrallic(sp) shop.

Comment

Fittings?

OK, YES! Please! part numbers, thread specs, anything. I just went to every parts store (except autozone - didn't see this until after I got home) the BMW dealership, and home depot and NOTHING.

Some stuff was close, but it has to be perfect. Can't risk an oil catastrophe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
        J.
        J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

Comment

Okay the part number from my receipt is #129533 323080 and the item name is "GASOLINE A" for $2.99

I found it in the gas line fittings. If you go in the back they have tons of random stuff like adaptors for gas lines. I just spent about an hour going through all the stuff until I found an adaptor that is 12x1.5 male to plug into the engine block and then 1/4NPT for the sending unit to plug into. I asked everywhere and they said "We dont have anything like that" so then I went to Autozone because I befriended the guy there and he lets me look through whatever.

If you want to keep the original oil guage sender then you have to do a little more work. You will need to find a T that is 12x1.5 on all 3 ends. 2 ends being female and one end being male. Then you would have to plug the male end into the engine block, the stock sending unit into one of the female slots, and the adaptor above into the other female slot. Then just use the adaptor the same as above. I personally feel if you have a pressure guage that shows the actuall pressure then you dont really need the idiot light so I didnt bother to keep the stock guage. The gauge you bought is much better, which is why you bought it, right?

Let me know if are able to find it. This is all assuming your guage has a male 1/4 NPT connection. Most gauges do but I do not know which gauge you bought other than its made by VDO and has 2 pins.

Comment

Working...
          X