No announcement yet.

M10 Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd throw up an update on this. Pulled the head off a couple days ago. Took it to the machine shop and had it checked. Head is warped pretty bad. Also found that the whole motor is full of stop leak. The coolant passages in the head are pretty much full.

Plan now is to take a look at the m10 I picked up for free and see what can be used.

Comment

Thanks for the update. And yes, if the head's been really warped, then the pistons
      may not be healthy-
      M10's aren't hard to find. If the freebie isn't good, keep looking. Don't spend a lot.

Good luck,
      t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        Thanks for the update. And yes, if the head's been really warped, then the pistons
        may not be healthy-
        M10's aren't hard to find. If the freebie isn't good, keep looking. Don't spend a lot.

Good luck,
        t
        Thanks! My goal is to keep this on the cheap. Even though a motor swap is super tempting right now.

Also discovered that a rust hole about 8 inches long formed on the firewall right behind the battery. It's been letting water seep in and the carpet is soaked. Looks like another few things to add to the list of to dos lol.

Comment

Took a look at the e21 donor motor. It has holes in the head for the injectors. Would it work if I just plugged these? Maybe tap them and screw in a pipe plug? Not sure if there is a better way to go about it. Input appreciated!!

Comment

If it's the 1.8i (I think it is) then yep, just plug them some way. Reasonably securely!

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

m10 cars are fun as hell and the gearing is not stupid short like the m42, which I think is nice. Keep it original!

Comment

M10 rules

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and the M10 318i is super light!

Comment

I am finding it darn near immpossible to find M10 parts in Southern ontario. And I am running out of cranks and other parts.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                  Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Another update. Confirmed the "new" motor is a 1.8. Pulled the e21 m10 head off and took it to the machine shop. He said it's in good shape and can be used. Cylinder walls and water jackets look good. Probably going to try to tap the hole and run pipe plugs. Also looked into it and saw some people use a ball bearing and JB weld. Seemed kind of ghetto to me. Definitely easier though.

Plan now is to swap the e21 motor into the e30. Anyone have a good link? TobyB it seems like you are knowledgeable on this topic.

Maybe I should start a build thread...

Comment

See if you can find freeze plugs that small. Just pop them in if you can

Comment

I've never stuffed one into an E30, only a 2002.

I like the freeze plug idea, if you can find one that fits.
                        Tapping is difficult, and it runs the (small) risk of cracking the head.
                        If you tap it, find a size that's easy to tap, then JB weld (or other epoxy)
                        it in there.

If it's an E21 head, it's a 2L engine, and that will be a nice torque bump.
                        And the EFI can deal with it, we've proven on the 2002's.

I would put the E30 oil pan on, and you can put together an E30
                        oil pump out of the best parts.

hth

t

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                          See if you can find freeze plugs that small. Just pop them in if you can
                          Freeze plugs never crossed my mind. Something to look into. Thanks for the idea!

I've never stuffed one into an E30, only a 2002.

I like the freeze plug idea, if you can find one that fits.
                          Tapping is difficult, and it runs the (small) risk of cracking the head.
                          If you tap it, find a size that's easy to tap, then JB weld (or other epoxy)
                          it in there.

If it's an E21 head, it's a 2L engine, and that will be a nice torque bump.
                          And the EFI can deal with it, we've proven on the 2002's.

I would put the E30 oil pan on, and you can put together an E30
                          oil pump out of the best parts.

hth

t
                          Forgive me for my ignorance, but is 2L an engine code? I noticed the pistons look different in the 2 motors.

Are there any other parts that need to be swapped besides the oil pan? I am planning on tearing apart both motors next to each other and hopefully I will notice any differences.

Are the oil pumps different? Something to research.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

2L refers to 2 liters. Oh, and an E21 car can also have an E21 head casting (a bit confusing). Yes, the piston dome should match the combustion chamber. The M10 had a number of piston styles over the years/generations.

I would suspect that your E21 1.8 engine has a 1.8 casting if there are injector ports in the head?
                            Last edited by packratbimmer; 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM. Reason: clear

Comment

Yeah, sorry, longer stroke crank makes it 2 liters.

If the pistons look different, then yes, one is a 2 liter engine- all the 1.8i pistons look the same.

I THINK the 1.8i pistons work with the head that says E21 on the side- the dome fits,
                              and nothing's too shrouded. But you don't want to use the flattop E21 pistons with the
                              1.8i head- you'll get a compression ratio that's more suited to a tractor!

Can you post pix?

t

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                                2L refers to 2 liters. Oh, and an E21 car can also have an E21 head casting (a bit confusing). Yes, the piston dome should match the combustion chamber. The M10 had a number of piston styles over the years/generations.

I would suspect that your E21 1.8 engine has a 1.8 casting if there are injector ports in the head?
                                That's what I thought, that 2L meant 2.0 liter. The e21 head does have a 1.8 casting on the side.

Yeah, sorry, longer stroke crank makes it 2 liters.

If the pistons look different, then yes, one is a 2 liter engine- all the 1.8i pistons look the same.

I THINK the 1.8i pistons work with the head that says E21 on the side- the dome fits,
                                and nothing's too shrouded. But you don't want to use the flattop E21 pistons with the
                                1.8i head- you'll get a compression ratio that's more suited to a tractor!

Can you post pix?

t
                                My plan is to use the entire e21 motor with the e30 injection grafted on. So it should all work together like stock.

I will try to snap some pics tonight of everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X