Where does the M42 oil dipstick fasten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does the M42 oil dipstick fasten?

I converted my e36 m42 oil pans to e30 m42 oil pans (for fitting with my subframe) and I'm not 100% sure where the dipstick fastens since its shorter. I am trying to use the e30 dipstick with the e30 oil pan so it all should be good.

Also if anyone has any tips with getting the o-ring in without crushing it, Im all ears...
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 03-27-2017, 07:41 PM.

The E30 dip stick has a bracket that bolts with one bolt to the front of the alternator bracket.

Put the o-ring on the dip stick tube, insert tube in to hole, rotate/press down, shouldn't damage the o-ring at all.
    Last edited by roguetoaster; 03-28-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

What roguetoaster said. You can kind of see it in this photo:

Comment

I didn't think the early and late m42 were that different but I'm definitely not seeing a good bolt to join to.

I think I'm just going to shorten the e36 dipstick and see if I can mirror them. Otherwise see if I'm missing something....

Comment

They are very different when it comes to dip stick tubes.

The early one looks like this:

The late one & M44 one looks like this:

They are clearly not compatible, with the early one fastening to the oil filter housing, and the late one to the intake manifold IIRC. If you shorten either then you'll have a dip stick length issue and probably won't be able to check oil level. If I were you I'd just make a bracket that allows the tube you are using to mount somewhere in a fairly solid manner.

Comment

Bracket makes sense to me. I was hoping to get it in proper but it's pretty clear somethings off. And yea, I pulled out the e36 dipstick from storage and it is wildly different.

Found a better picture:

I think I was putting it in too far.
            Last edited by jaredmac11; 03-28-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
              I think I was putting it in too far.
              That's what she said?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                That's what she said?
                I'm glad I wasn't the only one who immediately thought that. ;D

Comment

Working...
                X