No announcement yet.

Differential Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My local auto stores don't have many special tools. This has to e a 30mm deep socket AND thin wall. It's a fairly hard combo.

Comment

^ Thats what lathes or grinders are for. That socket is at 90% of auto parts stores around here, even though they don't have many special tools.
      I grew up in NoVa and actually bought the one i use now at a store there, it would be worth checking a couple local places.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I'd rather buy a tool that I know will work than probably trash a perfectly good socket.

Comment

How is machining the OD of a socket that was made by machining it's OD "trashing it"?

If you want to pay 3 or 4 times more for a special socket be my guest. Are you going to wear it on a necklace when you are not using it?
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I don't have a lathe. I'd wind up grinding it with an angle grinder.

Comment

Check amazon, the tools section is not bad.

For 6 point 30mm short I bought a silver eagle, believe it cost me about $28-32.

Look in local yellow pages for Matco truck or just walk up to one, they are private franchise owners and are happy to take your money!

I've seen people do harbor freight impact kit for $30 and take the 30mm thinwall and grinder it. I don't have a grinder so I opted no for that option.
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
              X