e30 323i N54 teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
    I finished my N55 to E36 project, so here are some details, maybe it helps you

N55 + 6HP21 rules. This engine will become more popular than S54. My car:

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIFefCg-h8
    You've had this done for a couple year now, correct? Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
    How difficult was the n54 swap into the e36?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    ue,
    He did N55, Long time ago when I pm'd him he stated it was easier in regards to stock turbo fitment, which I'd believe to be true. The rear turbo on the N54 is Reversed, and the hotside of that turbo points at a downwards angle right at the subframe.

Got back from Dallas a Couple days ago, Never seen Softball Sized hail before, wowwy!

Comment

The video is incredible - lots to learn from it. Fantastic work
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Any progress?

I still need some more info about oil pan, engine mounts... and similar stuff before I start. Found a guy who already installed the engine on bimmerfest but his last activity on forum was 10-19-2015.

Comment

Sorry to leave you folks hanging, and the delay will continue.

I have absolutely no choice but to focus on my career first; and due to a sudden move I no longer have a location to work on my vehicle, I'm currently working on solving that issue and it is most definitely temporary.

J4Jo: No one has made engine mounts, and nothing is bolt on that has been found, until someone has a sure shit way to do this swap we wont be seeing mounts. I really hope to be the one that changes that for us. There are a few companies that make a transmission mount for the GS6 MT transmission to mount into the e30, so that helps.

I apologize you had to filter through a few pages of non sense.

Until then, no updates.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post

J4Jo: No one has made engine mounts, and nothing is bolt on that has been found, until someone has a sure shit way to do this swap we wont be seeing mounts. I really hope to be the one that changes that for us. There are a few companies that make a transmission mount for the GS6 MT transmission to mount into the e30, so that helps.
            no problem :p... good luck with your job!

and yes I realize no one has done it (in E30) and publish it. Or they did but completely redo the engine bay for racing purposes. I will wait maybe I get feedback from the guy from bimmers forum who installed n54 in a street car.
            Last edited by j4jo; 06-20-2016, 03:36 AM. Reason: missing world

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
              There are a few companies that make a transmission mount for the GS6 MT transmission to mount into the e30, so that helps.
              What are the others outside of Kassel? I don't like the way theirs hangs, as Id rather utilize the rear bolt location. I found the E30 Auto Trans brace is close but still not close enough with the E90 mount, but a custom mount for the E30 Auto trans brace would be an easy workaround.

Comment

Arc Asylum makes one ^
                1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
                1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
                1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
                ...And a couple others...

Comment

What happened to this?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                    What happened to this?
                    My new career choice drastically effected the focus I initially had; I'd hope we can all agree that a career is much more important then a build. :)
                    however very much still on, and progress has been made. I just don't like to keep a temporarily dead thread alive with info that I consider "filler".

Although no picture updates I still do plan to use the Arc asylum e30 subframe in order to avoid clearance issues with the steering linkage to the rack, similar to yours with the E36+N55 just different in how it measures up. N54/N52/N51 alike have similar bosses that I believe will work.

Additionally as we know, fitting the stock twins would involve clocking the engine over to gain clearance, this and the fact that stock turbos are totally garbage, Ill be going single, and modifying the stock TT manifolds to make my own single manifold.

Nothing really interesting about this for now, next item up to kill is simply mock-up... getting the engine and trans in there, and to a spot where I can make mounts, or modify stock mounts using 1/4 sheet metal and the available bosses on the front portion of the block.. Luckily on the N54/N52/N51 they give you quite a bit to work with. The Gs6-53bz is most likely going to involve some bashing in order to fit.. we will just have to see!

Thanks for the curiosity DesertBMW, still dont think people give you enough credit.

Better updates to follow, this is a lackluster update at best.
                    Last edited by the imitator; 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I don't want to promise anything - but when you get back to this, I'm pretty sure I will have an OBD flashable EWS delete for MSD80 before summer. :)
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

bump
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

heh

well, I bricked my MSV80 after I posted that. Didn't have time to do much with it, but i managed to recover it this spring. Don't know when I will resume work on an MSx80 EWS delete.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

peekaboo.. Nothing exciting but I do believe I'm about to bring this back from the dead.
                            I set up the garage to better suit the limited room I have to operate.. I was able to strip the engine down to the long block this afternoon for the fun of it.

Last edited by the imitator; 05-16-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

i have close friends with e82/n54 and e90/n55. Lots of others around with N5x. Really looking forward to this build resuming. I can get these motors for dirt cheap.
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              My M60 V8 swap thread here
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                                i have close friends with e82/n54 and e90/n55. Lots of others around with N5x. Really looking forward to this build resuming. I can get these motors for dirt cheap.
                                I love my 135i to bits, had to to pick up a work/trail vehicle over the winter too.

I was able to test fit the GS6-53BZ today; Its damn near drop in but a slight massaging will be needed of 2, maybe 3 spots, and we're talking light indentations.
                                Looks like 2/3 options here, but we'll just have to see once I float the engine in the bay. As I personal see it right now its either 1. massaging the firewall a little bit in order to clear both the oil pan, and the width of the head. One concern is the likelihood of the valve cover lining up with the seam located below the blower.
                                2. Do whats been done before, convert to front sump.
                                3. convert to dry sump n send it.

This Photo was taken after I lower the unit a little bit it will took right up there though.

That's how far the transmission will tuck into it starts making contact with the tunnel.

Contact within the tunnel, fairly noticeable whats touching. The other side is the same, just not pictured. (lower bracket piece will be removed obviously)

Custom transmission bracket will need made, but there's plenty of room there to make/mount a bracket. The engine location will ultimately determine the final location of the the transmission.

That's all for now. Toodles.:yawn:

Comment

Working...
                                X