No announcement yet.

91 318is Never ending project(s) journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a few more pics of the process. Replaced the transmission input seal. I reused the metal casing and just swapped in a new seal. I also got new bolts and washers from BMW. All buttoned up with Blue Hylomar for extra sealant power. I did also clean up in the inside of of the bell-housing as much as possible, wire wheel and plastic pic/scraper. The outside is about 80% clean as well. Next is the new bronze guide pin, output seal and selector rod bushing. It was this plastic piece that sheared off and started this whole process.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Here is the AGA bronze clutch pin installed:

Comment

Another update and it has been very slow due to lots of traveling for work and then family time when I am home with the little ones. I plan on having it back on the road before the end of the year as I am not on vacation until 2017. Here are some shots of the prep and now installed tranny. Working on DSSR with UUC as the 215mm is too short and will probably need the 283mm from an e39 m5. Waiting on call back from Rob at UUC but in an old thread from SimonS which the same car, that is what he needed to do.

On to the pics:

new parts, output seals and bushing:

Seals installed, forgot to take on of trans output seal before installing the coupler:

Tranny installed, boy it was heavy to do it by yourself but I got it. I used new bellhousing bolts.

I now have the slave cylinder installed and starter in, just need to bolt it. I need to finish working on the DSSR but I have the EVO3 SSK installed. Clutch pedal has no bidding, now need the lever to test throws before turning it on.

Comment

Nice progress! This thread is an inspiration for my 318is!

Comment

Did you bleed the clutch yet? Easy way to do it alone - having installed many trans/clutches etc alone at my shop, learned a trick. With everything installed except the slave in the trans. System closed and filled with fluid, pull the clutch pedal up by hand. Go under the car and plunge the slave in/out several times. At first it will be easy by hand and start to get difficult. I then use one of the square ribs on the transmission to use both hand and plunge the slave in/out, you will actually hear the air bubbles going away and the slave rod will get REALLY difficult to push in at all. When you get to that point, install the slave in the transmission and you should have full clutch pedal, or maybe just a couple more pumps of the pedal and it will be completely bled. I NEVER even loosen the slave bleeder and have been doing it this way for years.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Comment

While waiting for some new bolts for the driveshaft from the dealer, I decided to cleanup the 2 heat shields.

Here is the rear section which has some surface rust but overall for its age its in very good condition. I took a wire wheel to it and then painted it with a matt black spray paint from Rustoleum to help prevent more rust and it is designed for very high temps, I got it at Walmart.

Here is the larger shield cleaned. I forgot to take a picture of it before I started. Also, the sheild looks to have blotches but that is because it has just cleaned it and was still wet.

Here is the first piece painted with 2 coats. Will let it sit to cure. I will paint the other piece and post pics. I ran out of sun light due to some work on the e39. Its has a deeper black in person.

Comment

Comment

Once the heat shields were dried, I went to install the new driveshaft and realized the 4 knurled bolts at the rear end knuckle were not there. I had to order them from BMW and finally installed them on the knuckle and installed the driveshaft in the car for a test run before installing all the shields and exhaust.

Here are the new bolts. Hammered them in with a ratchet extension.

Bolts installed:

All shields installed with support bar and some new hardware as I was missing some or they were too corroded for my taste. The all black looks cleans it up a little.

I then have a few new parts for the exhaust installation. I cleaned up the hanger bracket, tranny bracket and installed new rubber mounts:

I then took here for a spin. Big smile on my face. No issues, shifts smoothly and the short throws are just amazing. But with a new clutch and the SS, it was like driving stick for the first time. My timing is off. The clutch engages so close to the top like a new car and I have been use to it engaging midway to all the way down. Also, it has been a year since I drove her an only about 2 weeks worth of manual with rentals in Europe. I will keep driving it and maybe look into a clutch stop, who knows. Just glad to have the car back on the road. Need to finish the tranny protection plate install and a good car wash and she is 100% complete for this project.

Comment

Wow great work! Looks the the never ending 318is may be ending soon!

Comment

You are not planning to paint it?
                        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

the tranny skid plate? I will after it is all button up. I want to make sure it works fine because the m42 stock oxygen sensor location is in the way. As a worst case, I will just sell this plate but pretty sure I can mock something up this weekend.

Comment

looking great. what dedication man! loved our 318is. PO had turbo'd it. Went that way for a while but it never worked right. Rebuilt motor and rear subframe, brakes etc. They're definitely one of the best driving E30s
                            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                              You are not planning to paint it?
                              The car.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Yes, the goal is before the end of 2017. I still need to finish the rear e30 m3 suspension swap and then finish obtaining the replacement body panels, basically front and rear bumpers.

Comment

Working...
                                X