LS1 325IX swap... Let's get it done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS1 325IX swap... Let's get it done

To my knowledge there has never been a IX LS1 swap. Most of us know that anything can be done with time and money so who wants to get one done? I'm not one to shy away from a challenge and I'm pretty sure Ella (my IX) isn't claustrophobic. Please submit your input below, but I don't want anybody saying "it can't be done":hitler:.If anybody knows of another Ix that has been V8 swapped or has plans to be swapped please post a link. Thanks
    I spend 90% of my money and women, cars, and booze. The other 10% is wasted.

Anything's possible with a plasma cutter, mill and welder.

I think an E46 LSxi would be much easier.

The problem I and the 24V swappers have run into is that the E30 iX crossmember isn't far enough forward to fit the larger differentials from the later model cars. All the later front drive assemblies project too far forward, such that the front diff and the front face of the oil sump interfere with the steering rack.

I'm working (very slowly, it seems) on an S62 swapped iX using the E53 X5 4.4i oil pan and front diff. (Front drive assembly)

The only comparable assembly for an LS is the oil pan and front diff from a TrailBlazer SS.
    However, that unit puts the front axle very close to the front of the engine. It will not fit in an E30 iX. However, judging by the photos I've seen of the relationship of the strut towers in a RWD E46 to the front of an LS engine, the TBSS front drive assembly might work in an E46 Xi.

To make an LSiX E30 swap work, you'd need to build a custom oil pan from scratch in order to mount the diff of your choice (TBSS? E46? E53?) far enough back on the engine to fit in the E30 iX engine bay.
    If you can do that, you probably don't need us to tell you how ;)

Also, the clearance on the left side of the engine for a differential, steering shaft and exhaust is going to be very very tight and require very... innovative packaging. Since no one has gotten that far on such a swap yet, that problem remains unaddressed.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I can't possibly have answered all your questions.

I would really like to build a TT LS AWD E46 M3... :D

Comment

In other words, it probably would not be that hard if you own a machine shop.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

probably gonna have to

Comment

Thread revival

I'd like to bring this thread back to life. I'd prefer to pursue NA power for my '91 IX...I'd also prefer to stay BMW instead of going Frankenbimmer with GM parts.
            I would want to pursue M- engines instead of S- to make parts easier to maintain and find. Other than that I am a total newb. I have been combing thru forums for info since I know the IX has some special considerations with the oil pan placement and whatnot.
            Any expertise/advise is welcome as I being this project!

Thanks yall!

Comment

Working...
            X