No announcement yet.

Semaj4712 - 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not much progress but the trans tunnel shape is finally done, theres a few seems that need to be finished up getting welded but one more day on it and I should be finished and onto other parts of the car

progress is stupid slow because a few months ago I was laid off from my full time job, I work in the entertainment industry so the good news is I can do what I was doing freelance and from home, but I have to work twice as much to make the same amount of money all though thats finally starting to change which is nice.

I initially took a break to make another one of my slammed wagons

Then I pulled my garage apart to try and squeeze more shit in it

And then I started making these really great cup holders out of old soda crates

The only thing that takes forever is manually drilling out all the pilot holes for the stitching

I also picked up some bbs rms for the jetta that may or may not end up on the 02

After refinishing them with polished lips and gold centers

Also with the wheels i got the motor and trans mounts powder-coated black

So now I am just finishing up on a buddies frankensteined brat bike, gpz 550, I had helped him out on a few things on it about a year ago but we never got around to getting it to run so now we added a muffler and swapped some mechanical pickups for an ignitor-less ignition and just needs to be fined tuned and its done, then I can get some more done on the 02

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
    Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Oh yea and I almost forgot my wife and I built this bitchin gopro mount for that wagon and got some great shots from the pomona swap meet a few weeks agohttps://vimeo.com/136991444

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

Looks like some good progress. That manikin looks excited to see your wheels.

I'm curious how the seats will look when you're finished.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
          Looks like some good progress. That manikin looks excited to see your wheels.

I'm curious how the seats will look when you're finished.
          I keep going back and fourth on the seats, my fat ass doesnt fit in them really so I am going to hold off on choosing between seats until the time comes that I need to make brackets and then see if I have lost weight or gained it. Either way I will get them redone and if they dont go in this I may just sell them.

Comment

You have a nice garage, good luck on finding another job.

Comment

I just went thru this whole thread and there is ALOT of cool stuff going on. Bravo! In for more builds...especially the 02!

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post

So now I am just finishing up on a buddies frankensteined brat bike, gpz 550, I had helped him out on a few things on it about a year ago but we never got around to getting it to run so now we added a muffler and swapped some mechanical pickups for an ignitor-less ignition and just needs to be fined tuned and its done, then I can get some more done on the 02
                Is that front from a gsxr?

Comment

What a cool motorcycle. Looks fast.

Comment

yes the front of that bike is from a GSXR

Sorry guys, not really any updates at the moment, been beyond slammed with work, but going to be getting in it some more soon

Comment

Update?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Running Daily View Post
                        Update?

COTM

Comment

Updates will be coming soon, I finally picked up a job again after freelancing for the last year and a half, which means steady income and I can afford car parts again, so updates will be coming soon.

Comment

awesome!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                            --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Any updates?
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok I promised updates and this is going to be a pretty big one, basically so I lost my full-time job summer of 2015. I work in entertainment so freelance was what I did for the next year and a half. Which is great except I end up working 10-16 hour days pretty much every day which leaves very little amount of time to steadily work on things unless I choose to take a day off which means then I have to work more after to catch up.

So while I did take days off here and there pretty much nothing happened to the 02 and its just been sitting. But now I am pretty much full boar back into it, atleast somewhat.

But before we get to the 02 I want to share what I have been up to outside of work for the past year and a half and I am also going to just make this more of a progress on the 02 build and just other dumb shit I am doing thread. No need to leave you guys hanging for a year, thats no fun.

September of 2015 my wife and I took a trip back to where I grew up in Wisconsin to watch her dad race at Road America, her father races in the pre-war vintage racing series and races a 29 Model A Speedster, inline 4 with a Riley overhead cam conversion. Really a awesome car.

Here is just some of the pictures from that event.

And then the car show...

Also while we were back there I was able to get my Grandparents 40s Case tractor running, well sort of, it was running on either. I am heading back that way this year in September and hope to get it to drive under its own power for the first time in 20 years.
                                Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Then a few months later I convinced my wife she needed to get a BMW of her own, so we got her into a 2013 BMW 328i with the sport package. Really nice car, cant say enough about how much we love it.

I also decided that I needed another tattoo, and something small wasn't going to cut it, so the process began on this epic police chase bank robbery sleeve. It is still a work in progress to this day, but I am hoping to get it finished up in the next few months.

So this brings us to Xmas 2015 which I thought was going to be a few weeks of downtime where I could get some work done in the garage, maybe on the 02. Well not exactly. See every year we make my Father-n-law something fantastic, the year previous we made him a carburetor light, not sure if I posted it before or not, but here is a picture of it. Rochester 29, not easy to find and apparently its like Sacrilege to destroy it in the name of light.

But now this year we had to out-do ourselves and I hand stitched this tool roll from military canvas and leather.

This took the better part of 2 weeks, so there went most of my down time during the holidays, and of course I would come up with an excuse as to why I needed to do something stupid instead of working on the 02...

I decided that I could not open the drawers of my tool chest because they would hit the tire of my wife's model A. So I figured I would save lots of room and efficiency by completely flip-flopping my garage.

Needless to say what I thought would take a few days took almost 2 months, but it did work. I got a lot more space out of it, and access to all of my tools and tool chest.

In doing this, my stupid cheap light switch broke, so I decided to go all out mad-max style and build this really heavy duty light switch.

By now it is Feburary and for whatever reason I decided that I needed to open an Etsy store to sell things like Carb Lamps or tool rolls like the ones I made for my father-in-law, which spawned the opening of Champs Speed Shop, Etsy store. https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChampsSpeedshop I have a few items on there for now, but hopefully I will be adding a few more things soon. Theres a couple of things I am in the process of getting made that should be up there sometime in the next few months.

I think it was also around this time, that I could not take the unreliablitiy headache that the Jetta was providing and I was pretty over flooring it down the free way everywhere I would drive the thing. So I sold that and ponied up the cash for this decent 2004 m3. High mileage but overall in decent shape, more on this shortly.

Funny side note, apparently the price I was asking for my Jetta was enough to make people think I was smoking crack

Heres another item I plane to be selling in the etsy story shortly as well.

More Tattoo sessions

And then yet another project showed up. I found this weirdly choppered out 1972 cb750 for a steal. So yes another project managed to show up on the radar, more on this in a little bit as well.

A quick side project of electrical engeineering is this Arudino powered VU meter clock.

So basically my plan initially with the 750 was to put it back to somewhat stock and just ride it, but that idea got boring pretty quickly so I decided that I wanted to do a full build on it, so that process began.

And part of that deal with myself is that I would sell my 500t once I got the tuning dialed in. But its a PIA to tune, and furthermore barely runs half the time. So I took it over to Burbank Moto to get it all cleaned up and tuned and etc to get sold. We will come back to that again in a short bit.

And then I got distracted by yet another side project, well this was somewhat of a necesisty, see one day I got in my truck, and the steering wheel was all wet and sticky and gross, so instead of replacing it or whatever it is you do with a steering wheel thats wet and sticky and gross. I wrapped mine in leather.

Before

After

Also added an sunpro tach

It was also around this time that I started using AMSOIL zrod in the truck, holy crap what a difference.

Also upgraded the oil filter housing on the pontiac 316 in the truck from the giant canister that, well, leaks like a facuet, for this later spin on filter from a gto

Then I got my motor back from Burbank Moto, where they told me it was good to go...It wasn't

So the next day it went back

I also rendered out this idea for a tach-speedo combo for the bike, not going to go with it, instead probably going to make something quite a bit different and vintage looking. More on this later.
                                Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

More tattoo

Ok so a big reason I wanted to swap my entire garage from one side to the other is to use these really awesome socket trays I got from Westling Machining...highly recomended and extremely well built.

More work on the 750...

Ah here is something 02 related...but its not for me :(
                                Thats okay tho, Treytech had an 02 a while back before he moved down under for the year. And his gas pedal well...it didnt have one. So I made him one.

Got conned into building this fence for the neighbors

Alright...so by now we are in this past September October time...not sure but anyway so my wife's truck, long story short, had a crack in an oil galley and thus her coolent looked like chocolate milk. So her father decided to buy a 292 engine and have his mechanic build it. Its a real work of art, real nice. All new internals, crowler cam, stiffer springs, and clifford intake manifold custom full length headers, weber carb...the list goes on.

Before

Engine shows up in crate

Engine ready to go in

Going in

So that swap takes a few weeks.

But then, I decided to tackle my first custom exhaust. I started with a model in sketchup (which I will never use again). The entire exhaust is stainless, mig welded and really came out great.

Initial design...

How I cut the radiuses...

There was blood

Some of the welds on the flanges...

Lower half all done...

Then muffler sections added...

heres the complete before and after...

So now that was done. I continued pulling the bike apart, now the bike is completely dismantled, and the engine is on a stand...dont ask how I got it on there by myself...

Oh yea and then I started playing around with the idea of a rear fender...yea no

But I did make some progress on the front headlight bucket and gauge. Still need to print everything but the design and idea is finished.

I also scrapped the rear fender...I think, and designed this rear hump...now the light is completely the wrong size and the hump is too big, so I am in the process tonight actually of redo-ing this...maybe ill post the new version tonight yet

AND NOW...WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DISTRACTIONS, I DECIDED TO START DOING SOMETHING TO THE 02...

A long while ago, nearly 2 years ago I bought this really nice fuel cell from summit...now how to mount it.

Heres the hole for the stock fuel tank,

Which is nice if anyone wants to buy it...its for sale...

And the spare tir...i mean a hole where a tire could go I suppose...

yea cut that all out...

And then I reinforced the backside with this 2 inch square tube. I plane to line the perimeter of the trunk with this and then connect a tube from the rear strut tower to this reinforcement.

Oh...and then this happened...remember the m3 I bought...well it blew up, the timing chain snapped, putting a nice hole in the valve cover etc.

But not to fear, thanks to Minicorsa and a new rebuilt s54 from Castros...I hopefully will have a fresh m3 back next week.

Old engine

And the new fresh rebuilt motor from castros

Ok more 02 stuff. So tonight, I put the framing in for the tank.

The hangers I bought from summit allowed the tank to sit too low, roughly 3 inches too low, so I bent them up and raised the tank up about 3.5 inches. I am not sure if I am going to just use them or make new ones from scratch. They are not as straight as I would like them.

Also I was hoping to build an adapter to the fuel cell to retain use of the original fuel fill location. Similar to this...

But the angle is only about 10 degrees at best, and I am not sure if that is really a good enough angle to use the fill location or if I need to open the trunk everytime I fill up.

Next weekend I am hoping to get some more of the shaping done in the trunk and eventually fill the holes around the fuel cell with sheet metal.

Thanks for catching up with me, I know that was a crazy long catch up post, but now I hope to stay with you guys for awhile now.
                                Last edited by semaj4712; 02-05-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X