Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Toyo R1R price drop or is it just me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fwiw I run dz2s and like them very much. Very predictable and seem to wear well on the street since I like to drive the car around town on the weekends

225/45/16 on 16x8s
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

I know lots of people hate on the R888's, but aside from the odd "ring of death" issue (which is really just a non-event and a cosmetic thing), we have had tons of success with them on our track car. Yes, they suck in the rain, but we have 2 people drive the track car at each event for a total of 12 heat cycles per day and we still get 3 or 4 days out of them. We even run them from full tread height down to cords with no real issues.

Maybe it's that I've never used a different R-comp (I have driven a spec miata on Hoosiers on several occasions and that was FAST), but they seem fine to me, doubly so since they have gotten so much cheaper.

Comment

Looks like tire rack just added the r888R for the same price as the old compound. I just picked up a set. I'll be interested to see how these differ from the r888. Heading to the track next week and will report back here.

Comment

Makes sense, the r888 is what a 8 year old compound? Time to bring it up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

RA1 is even older, but I'd still take it hands down over the 888.
            Last edited by djjerme; 10-21-2016, 12:15 PM.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Oh, they weren't bad, just different.

I was running bias ply cantilevers when they came out,
              and found them to be just fine, and at least as fast as the R A 1.
              Funny noise, tho... and less predictable in the wet, altho no slower.

Less of a street tire, certainly!

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                Looks like tire rack just added the r888R for the same price as the old compound. I just picked up a set. I'll be interested to see how these differ from the r888. Heading to the track next week and will report back here.
                Well, it's only one day of tracking, but I believe that the r888R are a giant leap in the right direction. We have 2 people that drive the car in tandem (one of us does the A group the other runs B and we flip flop through the day) so the car gets tons of time and many, many miles on the tires in one day.

The day started off cold and rainy and stayed cool all throughout, but did dry 100% by the afternoon, so keep that in mind. I don't know how these will handle hot days just yet, but I will definitely get the chance to try them out next year.

In the damp - the new r888R are night and day better than the r888, no contest. I had tons of sliding and control issues on the original compound that were completely non-existent with the new. Granted, these were 100% tread depth tires and I'm sure that had something to do with it, but I think the oval through the tire is giving the water a place to go vs. the old design.

One of the huge issues I always had with the original r888 was the odd wear patterns where the tire would actually physically grain over into the water channel. This is almost completely gone on the new design. All tires seemed to wear evenly as well.

The other issue of the sidewall not flexing and causing the ring on death has been alleviated as well. The new tire seems to be more compliant and actually gives you a little warning when you're over-driving it. Something the original compound was terrible at.

So far, I'm a believer in the new compound. I'll report back with more next year.

Comment

Working...
                X