91 318is GT car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmachan View Post

Wing is mounted to a composite trunk lid, which is bolted to the chassis. The wing and truck come off as one, the combo is very light.

I'll take some detailed pics of the car this weekend while I try and finish prep for a race at the end of the month.
    I'm very interested to see photos detailing the trunk and wing setup! PM me photos, thanks =]
    sigpic

Comment

This made my day. How much life are you expecting out of this sort of build?
      Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
      Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this on the track sometime this year, Paul. I haven't seen it with the new engine, yet; in fact I think the last time I saw it is when you lost the last one.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

nice power.....wow....

how much lighter is the m42 over an s5x?.....

do u ever run out of brake w/ that set up........altho u r pretty lite..

Can u share your spring rates you usually run?....feel free to pm or e me.......thanks.

Really enjoyed the vids.....
          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Nice! Very motivating video. Thanks for sharing.
            sigpic

Comment

I am not a fan of the stock m42, but what you had done to yours is awesome! Great job! Post more pictures! :p
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post
                The motor was built to be a full racing engine, so it has extensive headwork, custom cams, and was tuned for a couple days on the dyno, by a builder well known for making power.
                I will say it was not cheap, we could have gone to an S52 or something for MUCH less money, but we wanted to stick with the lightweight theme of the car.

The engine that came in the car was a Metric Mechanic 2.1 Rally M42, it made about 160 at the wheels from what I recall, it was fairly strong in the car, but it exploded in grand fashion.

When I say basic car, I mean the rest of it, suspension is stock e30, no geometry mods, just bolt on stuff you can get anywhere, even has non-adjustable dampers..
                Stock 318 brakes, with PFC01 pads, the diff is not stock, but again, bolt on type deal.
                Wow awesome.

Rebello is close to me; was considering a built 3.3L street S54 but the weight package and aggressive high rpm attack of a 4 cylinder engine has always allured me (rx7's and sti's is the background)

What is the service interval of a M42 built like that by rebello?

you can run 91 pump gas on it?? Do you happen to have a dyno sheet? I'm sure I can ask them for one if you cant dig it up.
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Love everything about this, awesome work!

Comment

How long have you been running it in its current iteration? Has it been much more reliable than the Metric Mechanic engine, despite the major power? Pistons/rods? ITB setup looks really cool. What throttle bodies do you start with?
                    diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Not sure how much lighter than an s52 this engine is, but I suspect a lot.

The Metric Mechanic engine was in the car for a couple years I think, we blew it up the first year we had the car, however, we were revving it too high, unknowningly.

This engine has maybe 10 hours on it, if that. Plus, we had to re-bearing it almost right away after an off track punched a hole in the oil pan...
                      I am not sure how long we will run it, the goal was to not have to touch it for 2-3 seasons, hence the low rpm we run it at (7500 max).
                      I have dyno sheets, I'll post one later, when I am on my home computer.

It has custom JE pistons and custom Carillo rods. ITB's are TWM/Borla. The motor runs on 91, but we run a small amount of Torco additive to be safe.

Brakes are no issue, ever, spring rates are 500f, 700r, with Bilstein race dampers from Turner.
                      Paul

91 318is GT3
                      08 328xi wagon

Comment

Just watched a few more of the vids.......

do u like those sprg rates?.....they are what Im installing on a 2650 pound car...are they stiff enough for you?...

Im driving to events still.....

what was the blow up?.....trans?....in the blow up vid...
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Wow. Rebello sure knows how to extract power. 270hp at 10.5 compression is insane for an M42.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The blow up vid is the MM motor, connecting rod broke just below the wrist pin, completely destroyed the entire motor, the rest of the rod kept slicing its way through everything in its path, block, pan, subframe, starter, nothing was salvaged.

The spring rates work well in this car. I'd like to someday change the rear geometry, get the DTM kit or something similar, as it does struggle mid-corner-off on the power, especially in a bumpy corner.
                            Does doesn't put power down like an e36+ chassis.

Yes Rebello makes power, he makes some pretty sick numbers out of a true 1.8L GT3 motor as well, more than what we have, but thats big compression, race gas etc.
                            But in all honesty, our motor makes about what it should, pretty standard power/cu in in the race engine world.
                            Probably be in the 300hp range at 12:1 on race fuel.
                            Paul

91 318is GT3
                            08 328xi wagon

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              270hp at 10.5 compression is insane for an M42.
                              Especially considering the 7.5k rev limit. Seems hard to believe you can get so much power from such a small engine with such low compression at such low rpms.

The engine we're building for my 16v vintage racer is a 2.3L twin-cam (Cosworth "Coscast" head) with 10.5 compression and a 7.5K rev limit. We have custom cams being built by Hasselgren Engineering, a genuine DTM manifold, and a twin-Weber DCOE 48 setup designed and tuned by a winning Formula Atlantic engineer. If I break 240, I would be very pleased.

Guys with a similar build as mine starting with a 2.5L engine and 11:1 compression are making about 270 reliable HP. If Rebello can match that output with just 2.0L on 91 octane, then they must really know their stuff!
                              sigpic
                              1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                              2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

How good is the head? This really is key.

As I said, our motor is not out of the ordinary as far as output per cu in for a racing engine.
                                2hp per cubic inch is not uncommon.
                                Paul

91 318is GT3
                                08 328xi wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X