Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep

Originally posted by Luke318is View Post
    didnt have time to order any hardware, so im going to be making a trip to the hardware store!!

which step uses these?

Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

is it step 24, bolting the rack back onto the subframe with the short spacers?
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Just a tip I learned today.. E36 rack, IE steering guibo. Akg kit. I was having a hell of a time getting my knuckle back on the spline. Engine in the car.

I'm by myself.. I stuck a flat head to slightly open the spines on the knuckle, wiggled it on about a quarter of an inch. Once it was on there and straight, I didn't want to use a BFH or block of wood against the entire rack. I figured any sort of force would be absorbed through the guibo or the rest of the knuckle. I removed the drivers side motor mount arm, then grabbed the handle of my jack.

Coated the end of the spline with antisieze, Set the handle right against the knuckle that needed to slide on and gave it a few wacks. Went right on easily. Slid the bolt through the subframe tabs and spacer, no adjustment needed. Once it goes in as far as it can, the holes line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone else compared the feel between an e36 vs e46 rack?

I have both and find the e46 rack feels heavier to turn compared to the e36 rack, so I am wondering if the e46 rack is supposed to feel this way or not when driving.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

The rack has a larger ratio; if you want to maintain a softer feel as you upgrade your rack, you have to upgrade your power-steering pump aswell.

Comment

I was not wanting to match the e36 softer feel, I wanted to confirm the e46 rack feels heavier as I prefer it.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

If I want a heavier feel in my z3 rack, couldn't one possibly find a larger diameter pulley, thus less pressure, giving a heavier feel.

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                I was not wanting to match the e36 softer feel, I wanted to confirm the e46 rack feels heavier as I prefer it.
                to confirm your thoughts

I put a e46m rack in my e36m. It's heavier feeling with e36m pump and I like the heavier feeling.
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                  If I want a heavier feel in my z3 rack, couldn't one possibly find a larger diameter pulley, thus less pressure, giving a heavier feel.
                  I think you would need to change the pressure relief spring to make a big notice. At nearly anything over idle, a lot of fluid is recirculated through that pressure relief valve...

Comment

I made a small batch of e36 steering rack spacers
                    send me a pm if interested

-
                    Project
                    Parts for Sale
                    Feedback
                    YouTube Channel

Comment

Where is everyone picking up their e36 racks from? Went on bmaparts looking for one, and its very ambiguous.

Looks like they have 2 Z3 maval rebuilt racks that are the exact same for different prices?? Confusing....

Comment

Originally posted by CLM21 View Post
                        Where is everyone picking up their e36 racks from? Went on bmaparts looking for one, and its very ambiguous.
                        I surf multiple bmw sites along with ebay, and request parts numbers through messages.

Comment

I doubt it
                          This is still a pretty popular upgrade

I bought mine from AKG

Comment

Doesnt e30tech also sell spacers?

Comment

Item - BMW Part Number - Qty - Price[/b][/u]

7/16 Bolt 2 Inches Long - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - - - - -x2 - - -$???
                              Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - - x2 - - -$2.70
                              Copper Seals 14x20 - - - - -32411093596 - - - - -x4 - - -$0.68
                              Copper Seals 16x22 - - - - -32411093597 - - - - -x4 - - -$1.04
                              Power Steering Res. - - - - -32411097164 - - - - x1 - - -$19.50
                              High Pres. PS Hose - - - - - 32411141953 - - - - -x1 - - -$74.00
                              Nut - - - - - - - - - - - - - -72111977925 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.10
                              LP PS Return Hoses - - - - - xxxxxxxxxxx - - - - - x2 - - -$14.50

Do all of these parts need to be replaced? Just a curiosity.

Comment

So I am going to order the akg rack spacers should I get a poly steering guibo or not
                                1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                                2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                                2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Working...
                                X