Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Dad's DD to my new toy... M62B44 swap time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts are finally starting to materialize. Have my Wilwood pedals and master cylinders, 3-core radiator, garagistic engine mounts, transmission bracket, subframe reinforcement and boosterless pedal bracket.

Can anyone that has done this setup before direct me to their build threads to give me an idea of what I need to be doing on the brakes? I need to know what tubing, hardware, etc. I might still need to get before I get cracking.

Also... those 19"s off the 540 are proving to be much more difficult to sell than I thought it would be.
    My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

dothedance's thread has some info: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=355645

as does delamaize: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=348287&page=5

As well as Jack's: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=308273&page=7

If you look through other old threads you should be able to do a ton of reading on the subject.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        dothedance's thread has some info: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=355645

as does delamaize: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=348287&page=5

As well as Jack's: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=308273&page=7

If you look through other old threads you should be able to do a ton of reading on the subject.
        Thank you kind sir.

Sent from the depths of hell with my Nexus 6p.

Comment

Any luck on selling those wheels? I'm picking up an almost identical e39 this week.
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
            Any luck on selling those wheels? I'm picking up an almost identical e39 this week.
            No luck so far.

Sent from the depths of hell with my Nexus 6p.

Comment

Finally getting back to work after fixing my garage air conditioner (giant fan needed new motor)

Anyway... Got the old pedals out of there and bent the lines to hug the chassis and get closer to the firewall.

Pedal box and bracket are assembled and being installed today after test fitting yesterday.

That bracket is SHARP! Warning to all using the Garagistic bracket, this mofo WILL cut you. I have a good rounding over on the section that contacts the boot on the clutch cylinder to avoid cutting. I also had to drill out a bit to get bracket to line up. That grounding point below dash was not allowing things to line up. Oh well.

I think I may do a little cleaning in the engine bay today as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I ended up bending out new lines going to abs controller because the originals were just a bit too short.

Garagistic's mounting bracket for the reservoirs is pretty much useless unless you're using the Tilton gear so I made my own from some 1" angled aluminum.

I think I'm finished with the brakes now. I guess it's time to start banging away at the trans tunnel.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! What are your plans for the engine harness?
                  PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
                    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! What are your plans for the engine harness?
                    Lol. A bridge I have yet to cross. Thankfully I know for a fact that the motor runs as it is still in the donor 540 and starts without issue.

I have macalent's swap guide on hand and plenty of experience with crimping and whatnot so it shouldn't be too difficult beyond being tedious.

Comment

Are you planning on going OBDI or staying OBDII?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Are you planning on going OBDI or staying OBDII?
                        Gonna try OBD2 since I already have the loom/ECU for that.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
                          Gonna try OBD2 since I already have the loom/ECU for that.
                          I wish you well! That really would be the ideal way to do an M62 swap, I just didn't want to deal with EWS.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

I wish you well! That really would be the ideal way to do an M62 swap, I just didn't want to deal with EWS.
                            Yeah,. EWS is a bitch, but I have the entire donor vehicle right next to my E30 so I at least have everything.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
                              Yeah,. EWS is a bitch, but I have the entire donor vehicle right next to my E30 so I at least have everything.
                              Yeah that will make it easier. My E39 donor vehicle had been wrapped around a tree right at the drivers side B pillar. The door was stuck shut and I just wasn't able to get to the EWS module. Beyond that, when Pick N Pull towed the car away they had to take the only key so I was kind of stuck. You are getting good progress, good luck!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

I'm sidelined for a few days just as things were starting to gain momentum.

My hands/wrists are in pretty bad shape from getting the absolute shit shaken out of them by my chipper/shredder. Went to chiropractor today for an adjustment and he told me now working on the car until the swelling has gone down. So I guess it's research time.

First... DME/ECU flashing... I'm not a huge fan of sending of the DME from the M62 to the UK on top of paying 450GBP($575!!!) and not getting it back for 8-12 weeks after they get their hands on it.

Are there some cheaper US alternatives? Perhaps a DIY solution? I'm not afraid to try.

Also, the exhaust... does anyone know of any writeups on modding the E39 headers?

My budget is getting very tight and I want to do as much myself as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

Comment

Working...
                                X