No announcement yet.

1968 Florida 1600 Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's such a cool combo I've never seen it before! It would look awesome as you described a big lower, band the standard steels keep it clean and tasteful! Spot on
    TURB'02

INSTAGRAM

Comment

It is very nice Phreshkid. I vote you do just as you described ... I've really got to get a clean 2002 to restore.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Yes don't paint it just enjoy. Fix what needs to be fixed. I never knew this color existed. Especially with the name of the color. This is now my unicorn e10. Hopefully one day I can find one to go with my mk1!

Comment

Here is a quick assessment of the rust. It's more substantial than I previously thought, but I already have a solution where the blue car will serve as panel donor for all rust repairs.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I found a guy who is a 30-year veteran bodyman and he will take on all rust repairs. I should have a excellent update in the next week. I'm going to move quickly with this car since I want to enjoy it for the rest of the summer and into the fall, and then we'll throw Winter and Spring in there too.

The blue car served as an excellent foundation of knowledge in basic restoration. This car will be similar in patina and I will do my best to make it clean and presentable. She will make an excellent surf car.

I need to take the m3 off surf duty and another 02 back in there.

M3 taking on surf duty:

And the goal for the 1600:

It will be done.
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

You had the walk-around video categorized as Comedy.

I like that.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Seems like a lot of rust for a Cali car. Was it kept near the ocean?

I think I would just swap doors (if they weren't damaged) and trunk lid from the blue car and have them painted. I think you're gonna be looking at at least a partial paint job anyway, but maybe those areas can be spot-painted? I've never heard of that being done though. Might be hard to match new paint to the old patina'd paint. And I'm guessing based on experience that the rust you see there is maybe half of what there is...

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                You had the walk-around video categorized as Comedy.

I like that.
                Yeah because my whole life is a joke.

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Seems like a lot of rust for a Cali car. Was it kept near the ocean?

I think I would just swap doors (if they weren't damaged) and trunk lid from the blue car and have them painted. I think you're gonna be looking at at least a partial paint job anyway, but maybe those areas can be spot-painted? I've never heard of that being done though. Might be hard to match new paint to the old patina'd paint. And I'm guessing based on experience that the rust you see there is maybe half of what there is...
                This car grew up in the Bay Area, then it shot down to Carlsbad sometime in 2004. It was driven up until about 2008-2009 where it was parked on a dirt patch and covered. The rust looks ugly but I have faith that it will be repaired correctly. I'll take detailed photos of the entire process. I've never done rust repairs like this so I'm learning as I go. I do use the internet for some general information.

I could probably do the repairs myself, but it would be using means that I am familiar with (fiberglass/resin, or metal mesh patch/bondo filler). The best way would be to cut out the problem areas, grind down all rust, burn new metal on, treat with rust inhibitor, POR-15, then begin the bodywork/blending.

Fortunately, I have about 1/5 gallon of the touch up paint that this car came with. I should be able to match a new can or two with it. I will try my hand at blending the paint. If my attempts are a total failure, I'll go to plan B and expedite a full exterior restoration.

Both doors on the blue car are damaged so i wouldn't be able to use them.

I'll know more in the next week.
                sigpic

Comment

I started with this:

I then wire brushed all the loose rust and exposed more surface rust under the paint, used a product called Naval Jelly (kills rust and leave a rust-preventative coating) and scrubbed some more. This was the result. I intend to grind down all the rust, the POR-15 the spare tire well, followed by touch up paint. The good news is it's all surface rust. Very similar condition to the blue car.

And here is the paint the car came with. I am guessing part or the entire car was repainted at some point. From what I understand, this specific PPG paint is no longer sold in California due to a few chemicals it containers. This could be the basis of touch up paint for me after the rust repair. I'm guessing its a direct match.

And here is what the paint looks like. The stick I used was super clean. It's the same stick I use to submerge my clothes under water in the washing machine.

sigpic

Comment

Another project? I guess.

Wow...this thread just get better and better. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
                    I like the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    323i MTEC1
                    Z3 coupe
                    E60 M5

Comment

awesome.

Comment

This is perfect. Sub'd for updates.
                        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

I am glad to see you are still in the game. I look forward to seeing the future of this one. Subscribed.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I got these grilles cleaned up and some of the major dents popped out. The center kidney grille will never be 100%, but I like it as it is.

sigpic

Comment

Have a good inspection on the read subframe mounts and the rear strut tower boxing and where they meet the inner arch. If you look from inside the wheel well you will see two holes and how there is a water trap it often rusts or cracks.
                              TURB'02

INSTAGRAM

Comment

Nice pickup. In for more progress

Comment

Working...
                                X