No announcement yet.

Gary Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a reason why I'm still registered as an independent voter.

It's been something like 100+ years since a 3rd party candidate has won a presidential election - when speaking to an older couple recently who identify as libertarians themselves they didn't even know who Gary Johnson is, this of course is no surprise to me really. They are informed but not really that informed since they get the news that most people subscribe to.

I have to ask - what would it take for Gary or any third party candidate to have a fighting chance for this election? Sure, he's gaining traction with younger voters as internet campaigning helps there, but what could really get his name out there to others? How could he get real coverage in the current media? So many people believe that a third party candidate vote is throwing it away, but realistically what can be done to not make that the case.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
      There is a reason why I'm still registered as an independent voter.

It's been something like 100+ years since a 3rd party candidate has won a presidential election - when speaking to an older couple recently who identify as libertarians themselves they didn't even know who Gary Johnson is, this of course is no surprise to me really. They are informed but not really that informed since they get the news that most people subscribe to.

I have to ask - what would it take for Gary or any third party candidate to have a fighting chance for this election? How could he get real coverage in the current media? So many people believe that a third party candidate vote is throwing it away, but realistically what can be done to not make that the case.
      One could argue that Trump is the way a third party candidate gets a fighting chance. Gary Johnson would have to take over the Republican or Democratic primaries.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
        One could argue that Trump is the way a third party candidate gets a fighting chance. Gary Johnson would have to take over the Republican or Democratic primaries.
        I almost mentioned Trump, as he's not part of the status quo but that doesn't really fit with Johnson's personality I think - he probably isn't abrasive enough - but hey in some ways I'd like to be wrong. I have laughed at Johnson's comments on Trump though - he doesn't really censor himself there.

With our instant relaying of information age, there are a few ways I can think of for Johnson to literally destroy what either T or C say, but would it reach enough possible voters?

Comment

I almost mentioned Trump, as he's not part of the status quo but that doesn't really fit with Johnson's personality I think - he probably isn't abrasive enough - but hey in some ways I'd like to be wrong. I have laughed at Johnson's comments on Trump though - he doesn't really censor himself there.

With our instant relaying of information age, there are a few ways I can think of for Johnson to literally destroy what either T or C say, but would it reach enough possible voters?
          No, it wouldn't. Back before TV coverage of conventions, there was actual debate that took place. With instant media, no one is going to be able to say what they really want, unless they DGAF a la Trump.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Really, the only recent third party candidate to have a snowball's chance was Perot.

If you weren't around back then - you missed out.

Unfortunately, he shot himself in the foot. Much in the same way Trump bailed out the first time he ran for President, Ross stepped out of the election in the home stretch. This was after being one of the few Third party candidates to be invited/participated in nationally televised debates between the candidates.

Not long after he pulled his name out of the race, things got weird and Perot decided he was back in the running. But by then, the damage was done, and he lost a lot of support.

Here's a step in the Wayback machine for some of us, and probably makes no sense to the younger generations.

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Unfortunately the libertarian party will always have limited appeal to a population as large as the united states--i'm not sure there's anything GJ could say or do to increase the interest in the libertarian party beyond the swell that he's getting this year. And i think you could argue that it's partly due to people realizing that the option of T or C is so unappealing.

Comment

A nationally televised, prime time, debate that includes them!!. As long as they as seen as the fringe, with their limited exposure alongside the other candidates, they will never break the first wall of legitimacy that American people require. He'd still have to get past all the other scrutiny after that lol. The guy is a moderate libertarian though?? So perhaps he could pull some disgruntled left while picking up the right that cannot face voting for Trump. That's a believable reality. Just needs a national platform to speak on and a non stuttering cleaned up image.

Comment

Some more history: At one point Perot was actually polling higher then either Bush Sr or Clinton.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/11/us...lear-lead.html
                  2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Dang. Perot could have a real chance this time around.

Comment

Back in the day - he was the real deal.

Even then, people called Clinton "Slick Willy." He had the just-too-good-to-be-true air about him.

I mean really, not many were surprised when the whole Monica thing came to light. I think people were more disturbed by the "there's a hair on my Coke" ordeal.

(kids may have to look that one up..)
                      Last edited by djjerme; 07-22-2016, 01:51 PM.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

LOL that is a trip in the way back unit for sure. There were other reasons for the slick willy moniker, not just the -too-good-to-be-true- aura about him. Lots of "issues" while he was gov. of AR, and how people would disappear or change stories and what not before on the record testimony was to occur both prior too and during his time as gov.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          LOL that is a trip in the way back unit for sure. There were other reasons for the slick willy moniker, not just the -too-good-to-be-true- aura about him. Lots of "issues" while he was gov. of AR, and how people would disappear or change stories and what not before on the record testimony was to occur both prior too and during his time as gov.
                          Yeah, well, didn't want to go there yet.

It'll be interesting when the other side gets it's focus on Clinton. I'm thinking as the mud gets deeper, Gary could start setting more voters sway his way.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

perot got my vote, bush lied about taxes (back when lying actually meant something)

a hand grenade with a bad haircut
                            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Feel the Johnson

Instagram
                              sigpic
                              Current: 99 M3
                              Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

I'm still hoping he gets into the debates and causes an "upset" this election by stealing the majority of the conservatives from Trump and the people who aren't pro-Hillary. It could happen.

In my mind we can't go down this splitting America in half, fiscally or socially. One of his big talking points is putting together a real budget within 100 days of office. I'm not that old, but not that young. Why would I want to continue with paying into social security if by the time I'm old enough to be eligible it doesn't exist? Some don't like his more isolationist thinking, but personally I'm for it in a lot of ways.

Yeah many of his make-the-government-smaller ideas aren't going to get fully passed in our current government but if we start at the top and the bottom with new elected officials with term limits, we could actually see shit get done. I'm kind of getting sick of the "he'll never win / libertarians never win" crowd yet people think they'd vote for him but won't? Or not voting because you don't like the two big candidates but haven't bothered to look at voting for Johnson. Personally again, I think Jill Stein needs to cut out and give her support to Johnson - he's so close to the 15% nationwide average required for the debates. She's been "running" for many cycles for pres, but she can't make the debates. Maybe next time - right now I think she should pledge her support to the Johnson campaign, maybe that could secure her a spot in his cabinet if he did win. Not gonna happen, but I think she should.
                                Last edited by DEV0 E30; 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X