England left, is the U.K. in shambles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England left, is the U.K. in shambles?

Seems like Gibraltar, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the City might want to remain.

I'm glad to see this happen actually. Now if the dominos can keep on falling ;)
    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 06-25-2016, 10:04 PM.

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
    Now if the dominos can keep on falling ;)
    What could you possibly mean by that? Are you in favor of Chinese world dominance or Russian control of Eastern Europe?

Comment

I meant if only more countries could opt out of the EU. Are we doing the red scare thing again?

Comment

With one of the rich countries that hold up the EU monetarily pulling out of the EU are we going to see episodes like Cyprus and Greece in recent years going to become more common place??? Places like Spain for instance???? I think the biggest reason the citizens of the UK wanted out is so they can set their own immigration rules to not have dictated to them how many religion of peace following migrants they must take in.

time will tell, gold is up 60 bucks a OZ over this and Oil is down 6% (3 bucks) back under 50 a barrel in the last 36 hours over this.

The UK can likely stand on their own, they have done so rather well for the last 500+ years, just so long as the rest of the world does not try to punish them economically for trying to do so again.
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

i for one don't see how the vote could have gone any other way
          when unelected elites in brussels can dictate policies and laws the British must obey but the British have almost no recourse to remove them it's a recipe for......brexit
          the anti-establishment sentiment is world wide, probably means Hillary is toast and this is the beginning of the fracturing of the EU
          Last edited by gwb72tii; 06-24-2016, 05:02 PM.
          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Really george, as much as I would like to agree with you, I dont see Hillary as toast, I really think she is going to be the next POTUS, and there is little that can be done to keep that from becoming the outcome.

On topic and I do agree how its mildly amusing that the people are rejecting this collective governance thing and wanting some national sovernty back
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

A petition on the parliament website calling for a rerun of the EU referendum has gathered nearly 3 million signatures since being launched at the end of last week
              Nice! So what do you call people who want to usurp democracy? Anarchist? Fascists? Love how people who voted remain are some how claiming the moral and intellectual high ground. Especially love it when it's being said by Americans who didn't know anything about the EU or brexit till a week ago.

"Brexiters were driven by fear and stupidity!!!" Let me guess, you were driven by fear and stupidity to think that because the ONE sided media told you to think that way. God damn if this shit would stop showing up on my facebook feed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                With one of the rich countries that hold up the EU monetarily pulling out of the EU are we going to see episodes like Cyprus and Greece in recent years going to become more common place??? Places like Spain for instance???? I think the biggest reason the citizens of the UK wanted out is so they can set their own immigration rules to not have dictated to them how many religion of peace following migrants they must take in.

The UK can likely stand on their own, they have done so rather well for the last 500+ years, just so long as the rest of the world does not try to punish them economically for trying to do so again.
                Let's not forget that the UK does not need to actually withdraw from the EU just because of that vote as there is a huge amount of time between now and then. Although I do agree that migration was the major motivation for a withdraw vote I'd also like to see total in/out financial figures in aid/other contributions to/from the EU. It should also be remembered that an independent member nation can decide to not go along with certain EU regulations if they choose to do so, thus the vote to withdraw as a whole seems to lack real thought.

The UK for centuries practiced isolationism, at least from continental conflicts/politics. However, they did that before industrialization, and mainly because they did not have an army that could compete with any two of the top three powers together. Ultimately, as they industrialized it was realized that trading partners/alliances were necessary to keep others in Europe from becoming wholly dominant, and that posture makes sense for a country that has one (recent) land route connecting it to elsewhere.

Can they stand on their own? Of course, but will it be beneficial or improve their world standing, that's rather doubtful. On the other hand, I don't think they'll be seriously hurt by decoupling from the EU (and they were already mostly so as they didn't adopt the Euro), unless the EU falls apart, which would be bad for European economies as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ferendum-reru/

Nice! So what do you call people who want to usurp democracy? Anarchist? Fascists? Love how people who voted remain are some how claiming the moral and intellectual high ground. Especially love it when it's being said by Americans who didn't know anything about the EU or brexit till a week ago.

"Brexiters were driven by fear and stupidity!!!" Let me guess, you were driven by fear and stupidity to think that because the ONE sided media told you to think that way. God damn if this shit would stop showing up on my facebook feed.
                  You call them citizens, and they're allowed to petition for another vote. I don't think anyone is claiming moral or intellectual high ground as any reasonable person cannot predict the future and say with certainty that either staying or leaving would be good for the UK.

Don't forget that people not directly involved with the vote are allowed to have opinions, and yes, it's likely that this was a reactionary vote to a large degree. The sad thing is that media today seems one sided whether you are watching FOX, or the News Hour, which makes it hard for anyone to get quality information without spin.

Also, if you don't like Facebook just leave, sort of like the good people in the UK just decided to do.

Comment

The point of the post was that the remain side will just want referendum after referendum till they get their way. So can we elect a president and just keep on having a new presidential election, right after we just had one, until the minority gets the one it wanted?
                    And yes, there is a certain high ground being claimed. The media bias is pushing this and thus the remain side is using this as their MAIN argument. Have you've been paying attention to what's been going on? Since Farage has been labeled as the figure head of Brexit, to discredit the idea, they're slandering his character by calling him, and his supporters, racists and fear mongers... by being fear mongers themselves.

Never said I don't like facebook. Dude whats going on here? You can always pm me if you have something to say.
                    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The point is that you seem to be complaining about other people exercising their rights in other countries. Perhaps it's more an expression of frustration with the media coverage, but either way it essentially has nothing to do with us outside of academic interest as no one can really predict the actual impact of this vote.

The Facebook thing was a joke, and you will save yourself from reading the content on there if you just leave, which is what I did years ago. Not to sound smug/superior or anything, but it was just a waste of time for me.

Allow me to add, journalisim is dead, have you seen the quality of a near majority of the articles in the WaPo? Not that I'm old, but when I was younger you couldn't hardly fine an error in fact or grammar/spelling. Now they're everywhere, so it makes me less likely to trust what they are writing.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        What could you possibly mean by that? Are you in favor of Chinese world dominance or Russian control of Eastern Europe?
                        Or the US' World Order? Gonna be good when Trump gets elected. :)

Nah. The Facebook "thing" is just a joke. In fact, Brits are just tired of getting told by the EU how they should behave. European governments must bow to the EU and are being said how to run their countries. I wonder which country is next...
                        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

The UK didn't have to "bow" to the EU any more than a citizen of of the US must bow to the government. Yes, we have to pay taxes, yes, we have to follow rules, but we also get services, and can change the law (in theory) by voting.

As individuals, we have very limited power, but together we can (in theory) make a better society for ourselves. The same thing applies to UK/EU.

Comment

The point is that you seem to be complaining about other people exercising their rights in other countries
                            Their right was expressed in voting in the referendum. There was an outcome to that. What is the point if you just keep on re voting days after the first vote until the minority gets their way? What should happen is everyone having a say as to how to move forward. That's how a democratic process works. If there is enough time and evidence that this decision was faulty then why not have another referendum. Is any of this logic not clicking? Not complaining here, just pointing out the obvious.

Even though there were normal people voting to leave there's now people telling others to leave and gtfo. That's really sad to hear. Hopefully this hyper xenophobia chills down as soon as there is some sort of concrete plan for the future. Seems like there is some talk that instead of easing out over a 2 year period of time, it will happen in a shorter duration.

And totally true. I was born in 87' so I never experienced objected reporting. All agenda driven and anyone with a blog can say whatever the hell they want.

Comment

The UK didn't have to "bow" to the EU any more than a citizen of of the US must bow to the government. Yes, we have to pay taxes, yes, we have to follow rules, but we also get services, and can change the law (in theory) by voting.

As individuals, we have very limited power, but together we can (in theory) make a better society for ourselves. The same thing applies to UK/EU.
                              European parliament is not the main legislative body within the EU government. The council is, which is admittedly headed by the EU country heads of state. But that's not something people are technically voting for since who, in England, is voting for the chancellor of Germany? There are numerous other councils that are voted in by un elected officials and other positions which are held for life who determine guidelines and rules.

Any service you get from the EU, you can do for yourselves without having to pay the EU for money or having to listen to them. Isn't that a noble idea still?

Also thank god, atm, the EU doesn't conduct any significant foreign policy. That might change if turkey will be admitted in. That is a state that buys oil from ISIS, kills kurds, and shoots down russian planes. ouch.

Or the US' World Order? Gonna be good when Trump gets elected.

Nah. The Facebook "thing" is just a joke. In fact, Brits are just tired of getting told by the EU how they should behave. European governments must bow to the EU and are being said how to run their countries. I wonder which country is next...
                              I heard this some where explained and cool that you brought up US world order or essentially 'empire'. So think about how most Americans love Star Wars and the premise of that movie we're told to root for the small group of rebels that are fighting the big bad powerful empire. In fact, a lot of hollywood movies have this very same time of story line. The reality of the situation is that we are the empire. Europe plays along in the game of war. A unified Europe with a one European army could essentially be another more dangerous arm to that empire and thus only furthering the turmoil around the world. Nothing that has been happening in the past 50 years has suggested that this couldn't be a likely scenario. This entire immigrant crisis is partially of their own doing. The irony.
                              Last edited by Dozyproductions; 06-26-2016, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X