The Chalkboard E30 - it's just a knockoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chalkboard E30 - it's just a knockoff

I haven't really said much about this car of mine. This has been the daily driver for a couple years now while my vert is pretty much rotting away in my parents garage. To give some quick background on the car, I pretty much inherited the car after my brother decided that he didn't want it anymore, which it was in pretty rough shape then. Originally alpine white, no front bumper, stuck brakes, needed valve adjustment bad, cracked oil pan, and various other bits that needed to be fixed. Got it up and running in no time.

Got back from my internship a couple summers ago and chalkboard painted it. It was cheap and the original paint was on its way out. Plus the idea had been sitting in the back of my mind for a while. I figured I had nothing to lose.

Just to skip through the story a couple years went by and the paint started getting pretty bad again. Obviously seeing that chalkboard paint is usually made for interior use there isnt avoiding fading. It's pretty hard to tell in some pictures, but it was a pretty solid pink this past summer.

This leads us to now. Repaint.

Most of the work was just sanding. The first time I painted it I simply rolled the paint on with some pretty average rollers. It left a pretty rough texture which was fine, but this time I wanted a smooth finish.

After all the sanding it was on to a quick wash to get as much dust off as much as possible.

It started getting dark after the washing, but I still applied the first coat. This is the next morning. Still needed another coat.

Fast forward to the night of day 2. I tried to paint earlier in the day, but the paint was drying way to fast for the painting technique we were trying to use. Waited until the temps outside cooled off and pulled the car in the garage for pic purposes.

And there you have it!

Let it sit overnight and by the next morning it was good as new.

Well maybe it's not complete finished. Need to repaint the lower panels and touch up a few more spot, but nothing big. It's also important to note that this is a very informal paint job is you haven't noticed. There are mistakes everywhere. To some people using chalk paint is a mistake in itself, but I find it to be a fun and cheap idea. It still turns lots of heads as well.

I'll also get some better pictures later.

Thanks for looking.

-Tony
    Last edited by spike68; 09-07-2016, 07:29 AM.
    I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

I have heavily considered doing my right side front fender as a temporary "fuck it, let's have some fun before I do some bodywork" since it's cracked and riddled with rock chips.

Looks awesome imo
    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Loving the liight bar setup, only thing would be road rocks coming up and taking it out...

Comment

I've always wanted to do a chalkboard hood. Just something fun to do for meets and events.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
        X