Fuel Tank differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank differences?

I need a fuel tank for the 90 325i coupe. I looked at a couple etk diagrams, and they show two different tanks. One with two holes on the top, the other diagram shows one hole.
    Do they use two different fuel senders on one tank simultaneously?

Is there a year split, to tell which tank I have?
    Is there a way to tell which tank I need without dropping it? Can you tell by just looking under the access panel?

Which hoses should I replace along with it?

Seems like this should be in FAQ
    Thanks

If the holes are on different sides of the tank you will have two access panels as one is for the fuel pump and the other for the fuel sender and/or transfre pump.

My tank has two holes one on each side of the car and two access panels - fuel pump RHS, sender LHS.

Comment

screw it, put in a well cell and call it good:
      http://e30m3performance.com/installs...ell/cell_1.htm

Comment

I think they show it on the ETK, but they definitely show it on realoem.com- the tank with the 2 holes in top is "from 9/87". The other tank (with one hole in top) is for the early cars only.

Bret.

Comment

Alright, cool thanks
          Anyone have a good source for tanks? besides fuel cells? lol

Comment

Can someone provide me with the part # for the left sender sealing o-ring?

On the diagram for my 90 325i, it just shows the sender with no o-ring.
            Is it the same as the large o-ring on the right side?

Thanks

Comment

There are 2 main e30 fuel tanks, pre 87 then post 87
              The pre 87 is 12 gallons and has a sender pump and level sender in the tank, with an external main pump
              the post 88 is 16 gallone and has 2 openings one for the sender unit, and then the other is for the main fuel pump which is located in the tank unlike the earlier cars.
              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Good stuff about the tanks, I'm trying to figure out the o-rings now.
                Thanks

Originally posted by DaN
                Can someone provide me with the part # for the left sender sealing o-ring?

On the diagram for my 90 325i, it just shows the sender with no o-ring.
                Is it the same as the large o-ring on the right side?

Thanks

Comment

What happens when you are rear ended with the fuel cell in your sparewell?
                  or is this for track use only? Still..

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                    the post 88 is 16 gallone and has 2 openings one for the sender unit, and then the other is for the main fuel pump which is located in the tank unlike the earlier cars.
                    The post 88 has 2 senders. One for the guage and one for the gauge light.

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                      I wondered why there were 2.
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver
                        What happens when you are rear ended with the fuel cell in your sparewell?
                        or is this for track use only? Still..
                        fuel cells, like production cars post 70's pintos, have internal flexible bags that resist puncture and leakage.

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                          Actually, both senders have floats in them to measure the level. The resistance is combined in a series circuit, sent to the gauge.
                          The right sender has a switch that closes to ground when the level is below 1.5 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by DaN
                            Actually, both senders have floats in them to measure the level. The resistance is combined in a series circuit, sent to the gauge.
                            The right sender has a switch that closes to ground when the level is below 1.5 gallons.
                            Ok smarty pants. ;)

Due to the split design of the tank.

Comment

Correct me if im wrong...

84/85 318i tanks and 90/91 318i/s tanks also have a connecting pipe between the two halves of the tanks [runs under the drivershaft] Now, if all else fails you could use that with just one pump, however they are smaller tanks; 13 gallon vs 13.5-14 gallon, mine is from an 88 325 and takes nearly 14.6 gallons once the light comes on! Bolts in the same, just a needs a little more love to work.

Originally posted by vlad
                              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                              X