1978 320 project for sale $800 OBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 320 project for sale $800 OBO

I have a relatively clean 1978 320 that I was using as my guinea pig for M42 engine mount arms. The first set of arms are done and now I can make a jig for them to make a small batch to sell. Shortly after I got the 320 a 1602 popped up that I would rather invest my time and money into. Too many projects.

This car has a storied past, some time in the 80's it was parked after the engine or trans went out. It still carries a county sticker that is nearly 30 years old. I was told it was garaged up north for a while then pulled out to begin a restoration of sorts which was never completed then it sat outside in VA.

Here is what I know was done prior to my ownership:

New vented front 77 calipers, pads, rotors and lines
    New sway bar bushings
    New rear brakes and rubber lines
    Limited slip diff, resealed (not sure on the ratio, I'm assuming 3.91 320is)
    Some other random maintenance stuff, mainly suspension work (OEM shocks, etc)

Some random observations:

-Nice interior aside from the headliner which has pulled away slightly in the rear quarter seal area

-Gas tanks have been pulled and cleaned but it appears they did not reseal them due to flash rust evidence. They will need recleaned and sealed.

-Paint is dull but uniform and buffs up well, about a 10ft car overall

-Was automatic but everything is removed except for the auto brake pedal

-Non sunroof car

-Car rolls, steers and brakes great

-Has some spotty rust, mainly in the engine bay. Nothing major. Rear shock towers are solid, floor pans are solid.

-Complete car minus engine/ trans driveshaft... easy swap candidate

I will snap some more detailed pictures later when I have some time (and phone memory)

Cool car, would make a great little E21 to just drive around and have fun in. PRICE DROP $800 OBO
    Last edited by dirty30; 02-06-2015, 06:20 AM.

:(

And that makes both of us....
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I may know someone who would be interested in the diff if you're selling part out.
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
        :(

And that makes both of us....
        We have so much going on this summer I don't foresee this project going anywhere anytime soon. Call it a case of "can't see the fire from all the pokers in it."

The car is worth $800 just for the 77 front brakes and differential. I honestly thought the 2002 guys would have grabbed it by now, its on 2002faq. If it hangs around for another month or two I may consider parting it I just hate pulling apart solid old cars.

Comment

Yep, same here. It was either keep the e21 and slack on other projects, or sell it and get more focused on the things I need to focus on.

Yeah, mine had the 77 front brakes as well, but no LSD.

Anyhow, GLWS. Hope you guys can come out to a rallycross at some point again!
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
            Anyhow, GLWS. Hope you guys can come out to a rallycross at some point again!
            Thanks,

I know we need to get out there!

Comment

Working...
            X