OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powling View Post
    What is everyones opinion on the new Tacoma's? I'm looking to get into one in the spring but haven't really heard anything on how the new ones are.

Spend some time on Tacomaworld.com and make sure to do plenty of research on them. They have quite a few common problems, most notably with the transmissions going bad. I was just about to sign the papers for one, but I wasn't all that excited about it. My main complaint was the lack of power and constantly downshifting to maintain speed on the highway.

I ended up ordering a Chevy Colorado turbo diesel instead. I would heavily consider the Colorado/Canyon "twins" in your search. I'm not saying that the Tacoma is a bad truck, it's just that the twins are better in a lot of different areas. Coloradofans.com is a good forum for those.

On a side note, I think it's awesome that the midsize truck market is going to get competitive again. Nissan Frontier will get a LOOOONG overdue makeover, Ford is reintroducing the Ranger, Jeep and Fiat will be coming out with their own trucks and there's always the Ridgeline for those that prefer cock.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
      I ended up ordering a Chevy Colorado turbo diesel instead. I would heavily consider the Colorado/Canyon "twins" in your search. I'm not saying that the Tacoma is a bad truck, it's just that the twins are better in a lot of different areas. Coloradofans.com is a good forum for those.
      Nice! The Turbo Diesel Colorado should get even better MPGs than reported let's be honest... it shouldn't be impossible for them to do a good bit better. Still, I gotta hand it to Chevy, the outcry for a diesel midsize 4x4 was finally answered. Automakers should have delivered this sooner, the Tacoma has been king for a long time. I'm not going to count out Ford re-entering and crushing the market though. Exciting time for us consumers.

If Toyota puts their VDJ/Land Cruiser diesel v8 found in Australia in things for us Americans and gets it passed the EPA... and the NHTSA that would be amazing. Of course my new side project may suffer some, but maybe not too much. A new diesel truck from Toyota wouldn't be cheap.

Of course a rumor of the new land cruiser platform (300 series) being released alongside a global refresh of the heavy duty 70 series platform with a diesel v8, and both to be released worldwide had me like...

Reaction gif required. I dream about v8 diesel troopies though. I'm sick.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Seeing some midsize truck competition would be great. Fullsize trucks are just too damn big for anyone that doesn't need one. I'm also really hoping these new trucks have a stick shift option. I was just browsing new Tacomas, and was surprised to find they still come in a manual. Getting some diesel options would be great too. I really can't understand why the US doesn't like diesels.

Not sure what I will eventually replace my Jetta with, but although I'd like the utility of something like a Tacoma, I'm not sure I really want to DD a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          Not sure what I will eventually replace my Jetta with, but although I'd like the utility of something like a Tacoma, I'm not sure I really want to DD a truck.
          I wasn't on the DD'ing a truck bandwagon for the longest time either.

But I have been DD'ing a 'full size' (01 Tundra, it's argued that is isn't really a full size like Ford/Chevy/Dodge) for a year now and it is fantastic.

Yeah, gas mileage is in mid to high teens, but I drive so few miles a year that it doesn't bother me. My daily drive also doesn't feature any roads/situations that allow for spirited driving, due to it being so short, so my daily drive is very relaxed. Driving height compared to other cars is fantastic. On the other hand, I hop in my M3 for a cruise and feel like every car on the road is dwarfing/swallowing me.

Plus there is just so much more room inside, even with just the access cab. And the capabilities of a pickup are too much to pass by for me.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

A diesel 200 (or 300) series in this country is going to be north of 6 figures, hard to choke down for a lot of people. And I would jump on a 76 release into the usa, I would be the 1st in line to order, but with the diesel in it, is likely going to be 80k usd for a relitivly striped of lux amenities expected at that price point by urban soccer mom's and stock brokers.

Where did you see these rumors of a global 7x series release
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              A diesel 200 (or 300) series in this country is going to be north of 6 figures, hard to choke down for a lot of people. And I would jump on a 76 release into the usa, I would be the 1st in line to order, but with the diesel in it, is likely going to be 80k usd for a relitivly striped of lux amenities expected at that price point by urban soccer mom's and stock brokers.

Where did you see these rumors of a global 7x series release
              Yes, it would. Considering a new 200 series is ~$85k to over ~$100k for the LX 570.

Just rumors, I don't really think the source really knows anything.

Speaking of new 70's. Did you see the 2016 dual cab 79 on ebay in PA? It erupted into a huge thread on ih8mud, seller said he brought in three, sold one right off the boat, kept one. He had no pictures he took himself (stock only) and kept promising to show the EPA, NHTSA, etc seals that it was legal but never did. Wouldn't explain how he did it because he's going to bring in a few more.

Just because he may have got it registered of course doesn't mean it was federally legal. He said it wasn't federalized. So either a weird loophole (that other importers don't somehow know about). Apparently he sold it to a "national 4wd chain" whatever that actually means.

Interesting read, lots of red flags.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

yeah I saw that over on Mud, yeah I would not be buying a 79, I dont need a small pick up, my truck needs are 3/4ton and up. But yeah way too many red flags, for anyone who knows anything to even think about. Remember the 40 some defenders that had been brought in registered in some cases for a couple of years and the feds showed up and seized them well after the fact. Why because they looked too new, since many were restored in the UK or elsewhere before getting on the boat.... I know after a lot of free litigation by a L/R guy that is a lawyer many of them were returned.

Moral of the story, just becuase you got it in and some unwitting DMV employee issued you a title, does not mean the feds cant come and seize when ever they want if you are driving it on the roads.
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
                  Spend some time on Tacomaworld.com and make sure to do plenty of research on them. They have quite a few common problems, most notably with the transmissions going bad. I was just about to sign the papers for one, but I wasn't all that excited about it. My main complaint was the lack of power and constantly downshifting to maintain speed on the highway.

You must have stopped lurking TacomaWorld around June because your comment about transmissions going bad is incorrect, They offered a TSB update in July that corrected the issue for most of us and they have since released a second TSB update. My truck had all the signs and symptoms, gear hunting on the highway especially with cruise control, shifting flares, and slipping when shifting from reverse to drive. Again, all issues corrected with a re-flash of the computer in July and the truck has been awesome ever since.

This is my 4th Tacoma and with almost a year of ownership behind me, its far and away my favorite. I loved the first gen, didn't really care for the 2nd, and absolutely love my 3rd gen. The truck does everything I need it to do and then some. I test drove the GM twins last fall and I just couldn't bring myself to go that route again after owning a Chevy truck in the past. That and the resale on the Toyota's is hard to ignore. I'll hand it to GM though, kudos for bringing the diesel to this market segment. I would love to have a diesel in my 3rd gen Tacoma.

Last edited by Mtriple; 11-24-2016, 12:44 PM.
                  Originally posted by Simon S
                  When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

What didn't you like about the 2nd gen?

Comment

Fantastic advice from everyone, thanks!

I did briefly read about the transmission issues back in the summer, but I'm happy to hear they have remedied that issue.

I also looked into the twins as an option too...mainly because of the diesel engine option. But the cost to get into the diesel equivalent twin of a Tacoma was over $12k (if I remember correctly) and I couldn't justify that cost, even if the fuel milage and towing was better than the Tacoma.

The resale value of the Tacoma's is extremely impressive as well. My dad has owned Chevy's and GMC's for as long as I can remember, and I don't really ever hear him say great things about them to be honest...but he refused to buy Ford and all of the full size import brand trucks are too big for what he needs. I have never been impressed with the GMC / Chevy trucks he's had either to be honest.
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

for S&Gs I looked into a Diesel Twin.... Cant get it in Extended cab strike 1, (crew only) A 4wd mid level trim with off road pack came to 42k msrp COUGH COUGH .

My 04 3/4 ton duramax Ext Cab 4wd with all options other than the sunroof and digital climate controls, was 43k MSRP....... and the 04 Colorado I bought in 04 was an Ext cab 4wd best trim pack and offroad pack was 28k out the door.... It makes the pricing on the new ones kinda hard to choke on, and they are getting bigger than used to be...

William Pitt-

Comment

That Duramax is probably 65k today. Inflation has been crazy the past 10 years. That being said, buying new is nothing I will ever do.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                            What didn't you like about the 2nd gen?
                            While I liked the 4.0 engine and the updated exterior, I couldn't stand the interior and the lack of creature comforts such as heated seats, auto climate control, etc. My 3rd gen Tacoma has more bells and whistles than my previous E90 had.
                            Originally posted by Simon S
                            When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                              That Duramax is probably 65k today. Inflation has been crazy the past 10 years. That being said, buying new is nothing I will ever do.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
                              LOL

closer to 73k. Its why I still have my 04. The new ones are nice really nice but I cant justify the price-tag on a new one, when mine is just fine does everything I need it too and then some. The cost of new rigs is getting out there form everyone one, I dont know how people pay for them, constant state of debt I guess....

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                                LOL

closer to 73k. Its why I still have my 04. The new ones are nice really nice but I cant justify the price-tag on a new one, when mine is just fine does everything I need it too and then some. The cost of new rigs is getting out there form everyone one, I dont know how people pay for them, constant state of debt I guess....
                                That's the whole rub right there.

I am building a 79 Bronco with a Cummins. I don't do any towing and the creature comforts are nice, but not necessary for me.
                                Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                                Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                                Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X