Weak spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak spark

Running a wire directly off coil produces weak spark as well as just pulling a wire and checking with whole ignition system hooked up. My question is where to look next? Possible timing off? The CPS checks out ok and I have been through the dme tests as well. Thanks in advance!

Are the coil, wires, and distributor known to be good? That would be the first place I'd look for a weak spark situation.

Comment

Brand new wires, distributor, rotor, plugs (gapped correctly). Switched coil with one from running vehicle. Should have mentioned that earlier.
      Also since I tested directly from coil and still have weak spark I figured that would eliminate most of the ignition setup

Comment

check your engine grounds as well
        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Bad coil, bad DME, or a problem with the Hot in Run and Start circuit power to the coil are all possibilities. Start by checking the voltage at the coil + terminal when cranking. That should be battery voltage.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Will give it another go later today. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Finally got around to testing the coil (+) on crank and the voltage reads around a 10 as opposed to the 12 volts I'm getting when just in the run position. This leads me to believe possible ignition switch? Jlevie if you see this please chime in as your knowledge has been the most help in my no start problem. Thanks again!

Comment

That sounds like a high resistance in the circuit that feeds the coil. That circuit starts at the ignition switch, through the OBC relay on cars with the 13 button OBC, through C101, and through the engine harness to the coil. So the next check would be to check the voltage on the body side of C101. That will tell you whether the problem is inside the car or in the engine bay.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just got around to messing with this car again. Checked the C101 Pin 7 while cranking and received proper voltage. Hopefully this was the right pin? Any help as to what else to check engine side would help a lot, Thanks!

Comment

Wondering if anyone has any insight to my problem as I seemed to track it down to inside the engine bay and as Jlevie said seems to be high resistance in the circuit feeding the coil. This may be simple and I'm overlooking it but what the hell is left to check? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                    X