Can someone tell me what I just bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me what I just bought?

I recently bought my second e30, and I'm a little confused as to what I have. It's badged as a 325e, but all the stuff I'm reading on stricklyeta says the 2.7's have a redline of 4,800. Mine looks like it redlines at 6,250? A thin red line starts at 6,250 and then becomes thicker at 6,500. Is there something I'm missing? Production date is 03/85.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

You probably have a replacement tach from an i.

It's less possible, but you might have a whole i engine. Does the valve cover have a roundel or "BMW" in big letters?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Bet your cluster have been replaced. If the icv is mounted over the valve cover it's an eta.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

It has a roundel on the valve cover. So it looks like somebody swapped out the cluster then? It pulls up to the 6,000 rpm no problem. Am I about to blow it up? Haha

Comment

Is there an icv mounted on top of the valve cover?

Comment

If I remember right, there is a bracket with holes through that crosses above the valve cover at an angle, and then the idle control valve is up above that bracket.

Comment

That's an eta alright. You might have a chip installed since it is not bouncing off the rev limiter.

Comment

it's also possible that your cluster coding plug wasn't changed to the eta one, so it looks like it's reading 6k when it's actually less.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Dang, I thought this thing was all original. How can I tell if my cluster plug coding wasn't changed? I guess having an i tach already is one more reason to do an 885 swap.

Comment

Need pictures

Comment

I think Kronus might have nailed it. Yesterday after work my boss and I hooked up an old tachacometer of his that connects to the coil. When the tach on my dash read 4,000 RPM, the engine bay tach was reading 3,000. RPM.

Comment

Working...
                      X