Correct temperature range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct temperature range

I just swapped a m50b25tu into my e30 and i was wondering where the temperature needle should sit because i have a electric fan hooked up to a misc. button and i usually keep it on which leads the needle to be around the first white mark after the blue. Is that ok or does it have to be in the middle

Depends on which thermostat you used. If you have a 80 degree thermostat, like what the m20 ran stock, then the needle should be in the middle. But if you used the m50 stock thermostat, which I think is 88 or 90, then the needle will be around the 3/4 mark.

And when wiring a fan through the radiator temp switch the fan should come on a hair after the halfway mark. Are you able to turn the fan on/off manually? Because I would wait for the temp to get to the halfway point at least. Because halfway is already colder than what a stock m50 would run anyway(if your running 80 degree thermostat).

Comment

I dont know the car was previously a 316i, with a m40 and on my build list i didnt read thermostat anywhere. Anyways what are the effects of running a cold engine

Comment

Running rich all the time ^

Comment

Originally posted by socalife View Post
          I dont know the car was previously a 316i, with a m40 and on my build list i didnt read thermostat anywhere. Anyways what are the effects of running a cold engine
          I dont know for sure on an m50 but for an m20 you would be operating in "closed loop" mode from the ecu.

Comment

That's too cold. It should be near the middle.

Comment

Working...
            X