Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stomp codes different than actual bmw codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomp codes different than actual bmw codes?

My swap:
    S50 with M50 harness/accesories/DME etc.
    Theres a chip in the dme that came out of a 95 M3 though.

When I do my stomp codes, the numbers correlate with codes that come up different when I scan the car with a DIS/GT1. last year I kept having knock sensor codes (stomp codes) but when I scanned it at work with our bootleg GT1, it was telling me oxygen sensor codes.

I forget what ever became of that but I had ended up putting a knock sensor AND An O2 sensor in, as well as fixing an intake leak, and the light stayed off... I just remember which ever way it was, something was throwing me down the wrong path giving me the wrong codes.

Now recently my light had started to come on and my fuel mileage was crap. Idle was slightly erratic, but mostly it ran fine.

I did a stomp test and got 1243. the stomp code list I have says this is a crank sensor.
    I didnt think these old systems would run at all with no crank signal, but figured, maybe they had a failsafe that ran the engine on the cam sensor.. But that cant be.. Usually stuff will run on the crank when it loses the cam signal, and just dump fuel at every injector like a single port system (i think?)
    So anyway I put a crank sensor in it. I work at a BMW dealer and actually got the new ISID to connect to my car... But it gave me O2 sensor faults!

my o2 was connected just fine, its a pretty new sensor.. But there is a chance that one of the air hoses off my air intake elbow had come off and I inadvertently fixed it while under there plugging in my crank sensor (I had to take the air intake off and put it back on. I dont remember if anything was disconnected when I took it out)

So my crank sensor probably wasnt bad, and it was just an air leak setting an o2 code, which I happened to fix while messing with the air intake.

Does this sound right?... Im just trying to figure out if Im getting the wrong stomp codes somehow, since my DME is from a 325 and the chip is S50 M3. Ive worked at bmw for a while and Im thinking they wouldnt have different code #'s across such similar platforms... but its stilll just weird that my stomp codes come out different than the Gt1 codes

I have a 413 Red label from a 325i with a chip my buddy burned a stock S50 tune onto and my stomp codes have always made sense. The codes are the same from an M50 to an S50. Personally, I would trust the stomp codes. That's visually coming straight from the DME.

Comment

OBD1 wont run on no crank sensor, nor will OBD2 M52/S52. The M54 however will use cam sensor to run just long start.

If the cam sensor goes bad then it batch fires injectors.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Working...
      X