No announcement yet.

The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also subscribed....should be a good project!
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

wish you the best of luck bro.

subscribed =-)
      Looking for a 3.46 or lower LSD. Lets make a deal.
      LSx e36TI coming soon
      Originally posted by s0urce
      Man, she'd be so easy to rape

Comment

This is the type of build more people need to take on.

Nothing like resurrecting greatness from the 7th level of hell.

Don't forget to update!!!!
        www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

This awesome man. Im excited people are doing things like this. Im curious to see how you go about fixing the cowl nicely. I was looking into cheap M3's and that area scared me a little.

Im excited to see how this comes out.
          -Chris

Comment

Props to you for saving her...
            Originally posted by Simon S
            When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

sweet project. YOu might want to rethink the vortex generators though. The joint/bump in the roof near the rear window already accomplishes what the vortex generators are supposed to do. Maybe not as efficiently as newer designs of vortex generators, but installing them will actually decrease the wing efficiency.

The idea behind both these features is to get the air to "tumble" or become turbulent because air that's turbulent will stick to the back windshield more instead of breaking off and making a giant eddy.

So, the air flow is already turbulent and will attach to the back windshield longer. Adding vortex generators to airflow that's already spinning and tumbling might make it spin and tumble more, and it might stay attached a little longer on the rear window, but not nearly as much as if you had clear air going over the vortex generators. Then, this same super-spinning air will not be as effective going over the wing.

This will hurt your performance in a seperate way, also. The wing is designed to meet the air at a specific angle. By making the air attach longer, you will reduce the angle the air meets the wing at, and the wing will make less lift (downforce). These will be small effects, and you might not notice them, but it's definitely not worth your time or money to try it.

dammit- my inner nerd got out. sorry.
              /nerd

edit: can't wait to follow this. My M3 is in pretty good shape, but eventually I'm going to be facing some of the same issues you are with cowl rust and engine/timing system replacement
              sigpic89 M3

Comment

To NavyE30 (glasses up!) for one of THE most informative and scientific responses that ive ever seen on r3v. CHEERS

ill rethink the generator idea, it was originally a visual mod more than anything else. but after reading that maybe ill leave it. who knows, that mod is at the bottom of the list.

Comment

I thought these two were different ideas as the generators would be on there and the car would be wingless. :?:
                  sigpic

Comment

they are, but if the generators dont do anything im not going to spend the $50 for them.

Comment

well, even if the car was wingless they would still add drag. There just wouldn't be something like a wing to be effected anymore.
                      sigpic89 M3

Comment

WOW, just WOW, you have alot of work ahead of you
                        ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Props for saving this car, but man rust just scares me :(

Good luck!
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Hats off to you!

A lesser man would have parted it out already.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

good luck Jeff.
                              Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                                Hats off to you!

A lesser man would have parted it out already.
                                haha. Silly CA folk. That isn't even that rusty. :p

I had a similar problem with my accelerator mounting stub in my first E30. I just riveted in new metal. If you have a welder and some metalworking tools, making a patch panel there is easy.

Good luck with the project!

Originally posted by whysimon
                                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                                X