Starting my M54B30 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my M54B30 swap...

Got one picture for now... I didn't see a better place to put this thread, and this isn't the place to tell me I what I should be doing swap wise, I'm set on the M54 swap, and I'll be swapping as much of the electronics from my donor 01 330ci as possible. Right now, I'm at the stripping down stages, taking it to the bare shell. I should be pulling the M54+trans fairly soon. Going to be running it on the stock ECU.

This is the car:

Enough people have already told me how shitty it is, I don't care, keep it to yourself.

I've got all the time in the world for this swap(unless I for some reason die), and budget isn't an issue, so I'll be updating this at every stage, but don't expect it to be a quick build... I also plan on doing some body work, that'll also be posted in this thread.

awesome. a sleeper! what does the m54 make power/tq wise? i have acess to a 323ci that i can pull stuff off of if this isnt too crazy(as far as wiring goes)
    My feedback:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
    @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
      awesome. a sleeper! what does the m54 make power/tq wise? i have acess to a 323ci that i can pull stuff off of if this isnt too crazy(as far as wiring goes)
      323ci would be M52TU, which doesn't make much power at all. I'll be running my M54B30 with headers, it dyno'd at 207rwhp(around 244 crank), can't remember what torque was, I don't have my dyno sheet anymore :(

Comment

iknow that, but as far as little things like sensors ans stuff.
        My feedback:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
        @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
          iknow that, but as far as little things like sensors ans stuff.
          Hoveringuy has run an M54 on M50 electronics plus a custom dual vanos board, might look in that direction. I wouldn't know anything about running an M54 on M52TU stuff, if that's what you're asking.

Comment

after consulting with hoveringuy, I've decided to use my getrag 260 in the swap.

Comment

Started pulling apart the 330, I'm going to go pretty basic on this, only use what's necessary to run the engine by itself. Radiator is out, expansion tank, and the ac condensor is disconnected. Need to disconnect the power steering hoses and work on pulling the wiring harness. I'm also considering building a sheet metal dash, I'm not super interested in making this car a daily, I'd like to build a cage, a dash, and patch up the sunroof hole. Also considering lexan for the triangle windows and rear windshield.

Comment

I love the M54B30. It was awesome when I drove hoveringuy's car, and it is currently awesome in my E39 530i. The flat torque curve rocks.

Good luck on your project!
                http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                  323ci would be M52TU, which doesn't make much power at all. I'll be running my M54B30 with headers, it dyno'd at 207rwhp(around 244 crank), can't remember what torque was, I don't have my dyno sheet anymore :(
                  My 323i puts down 184rwhp. :)

Cams, headers, 3" exhaust, intake. It made power a lot more easily than I expected. My next plan is to get an M50 manifold on it.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post

Cams, headers, 3" exhaust, intake. It made power a lot more easily than I expected. My next plan is to get an M50 manifold on it.
                    your 323i has the DISA or whatever variable intake right? i take it that since you want to switch, those manifolds are still considered restrictive compared to the obd1?
                    Last edited by lennon; 05-24-2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post

You could also get the 3.0 litre intake. M50 will flow better than both but you'll leave a lot on the table without DISA unless you live over 4000 rpm.

Comment

That basically answers my curiousity too. So there's 2 (or more?) different DISA manifolds?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                          That basically answers my curiousity too. So there's 2 (or more?) different DISA manifolds?
                          Yes, the 2.5 litre has a smaller DISA manifold and it's possible to switch to a 3.0 litre manifold.

Where it gets interesting is that all N52's are 3.0 liters. Even the 323 has a 3.0, but the motor is purposely choked with restrictive tuning and a smaller intake.

Comment

Worked on the 330 some today, the engine is almost ready to come out. Need to give it another once over, but I believe the only things connected right now is fuel and the trans stuff/driveshaft. Tomorrow if I have a chance to work on it in the morning it might be fully ready.

I'm also interested in possibly, in the future, converting it to OBD I, but I'm not really for sure right now.

Comment

Don't feel bad about starting with a shitty e30. I built mine on an 84 frame and I couldn't have been happier.

Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Working...
                              X