Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make and sell these custom door handles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I make and sell these custom door handles?

Longtime lurker, part time tinkerer here. I just made up this custom handle for my 1991 318is with an E30 logo in the M style and font:

I had a lot of fun doing it and I'm wondering if any of you hooligans would want a pair/4 for their rides. I figure if there are 20 people interested in a pair, I could do them for $100/pair or less.

Also, should the E30 logo be anodized with the handle, or bare metal/silver to stand out?

If you're interested, PM me and I'll start a list going.

Cheers everyone.

I think they look pretty cool. I would buy a pair but don't have the funding right now.

Comment

Are those CNC milled or cast? Look absolutely beast btw. I'd suggest rerunning the embossed text after the anno (presuming its milled) so that you get the exposed aluminum/steel for the writing. I think it'd look amazing.

And can you do the anno yourself out of curiosity (I've always dropped a fortune for anno parts)?

In maybe a month or two (when I've got some more money as well :P) I think I'd be interested.

Comment

Those are cool, I'd say anything less subtle than the engraved look you've got going on in the picture is going to be too conspicuous.
        1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Are u creating the entire handle or machining originals? There are guys already doing this fyi.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            Are u creating the entire handle or machining originals? There are guys already doing this fyi.
            thats an entire handle for sure, nowhere near as smooth looking as the originals
            Boris - 89 E30 325i
            84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
              thats an entire handle for sure, nowhere near as smooth looking as the originals
              Yeah, entire handle.

And yes, there's some specks and machining lines I'm removing in my latest attempt. Should feel exactly like OEM, and a bit more solid/weighty.

Comment

Up to 10 signups now. Anyone else interested, PM me

Comment

i think it was robertk that was selling handles like this with "motorsport" and a few other cool insignias engraved into them.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Alright, we've got 20 people interested so I'm going to make these in the next few weeks! Anyone else want a pair? Hit me up and I'll you to the list.

Comment

not trying to be a downer but don't be too disappointed when 1/2 of them flake out once you invested your time an money into this and it comes time for them to pay.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        not trying to be a downer but don't be too disappointed when 1/2 of them flake out once you invested your time an money into this and it comes time for them to pay.
                        Smart thing to do is take 50% deposit up front so at least your material costs are covered if someone flakes out after ordering. It will also weed out the people who are 'interested' but never intend on actually ordering.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Spinning up the 'ol CNC machine to start making these! If you'd like to add your name to the initial run list, just PM me. I'll be posting updates here, bimmerforums, and reddit.

Thanks everyone, excited for this fun side project!

Comment

whats the final price

Comment

Have you seen the ones catuned just started selling?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X