M42B18 engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42B18 engine swap

Well i'm working on a project swapping the M42b18 on a FIAT 131 and i have some questions before i start the engine inside the car

- the engine belongs to the E30 version and i bought the wiring of the E36 version to be plugged on the E30 control unit will it make problems notice that i bought the E36 coils to be plugged on the E36 wiring

- i need to buy the air flow meter which part number i should get? .. will the air flow meter of the E36 version will work too?

thanks ans best regards <3

RealOEM.com will be your friend. You can look up the year/model of your engine's car ... this will give you what you need.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
      RealOEM.com will be your friend. You can look up the year/model of your engine's car ... this will give you what you need.
      yea i know that site it seems to be super helpful but also seems like i cant use it :(

as you can see i typed the part number but none can be found
      i tried to search manually but the part numbers of the control unit i get is like 12141734659 for the m42b18 engine while the part number of the engine is 0 261 200 175

is there something i miss?
      sorry for being retard i know but trying to learn tho :(

Comment

Ahmed,

M42club.com too. I would think that you would need the correct e30 harness depending on the year of the e36 engine.
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

the 175 ECU is for the m42 engine from the e30, the wiring harness on the e36 is different including the intake (DISA) and the AFM (MAF on e36). Pretty sure you need the e30 wiring harness and AFM since you have the e30 ECU
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

the AFM (MAF on e36)
            The E36 has an afm until 1997, when it turns into the M44.

Try picking a 1991 318 is in RealOEM, and look for parts that way.
            Then look at the year your AFM is from, and see if the part number matches.

There isn't much difference, except for the intake.... then things like
            valve train and valve stem diameter changed along the way. RealOem will tell you about that.

An M42 in a Fiat. I like it.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X