No announcement yet.

Timing Belt / Water Pump DIY - Step by Step Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Greg for a great DIY. I just about have mine wrapped up and printed out the DIY as a manual.

A quick question for all - When it came to the tensioner I let it do its thing then tightened BOTH bolts. Should I have left the tension slot loose so it can adjust for wear?
    I'm not too far along and can take the covers off and fix the issue if I f'ed up.

I got to thinking about this and it seemed like a palm to the face moment.

Thanks in advance - Mark

edit-
    On further thought...
    The friggin bolts have to be tight or they'd rattle out. So the belt is engineered to have almost zero stretch. Set it and forget it?
    Last edited by 3N9; 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

The bolts should be tight.

ie, set it and forget it

--->>>1988 SETA 2.7i Build Thread (Turbo Prep)<<<---

Comment

Thanks man....this is my first project on the car and first time diving that deep on a Bimmer.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this guide. It helped me out when I changed my belt today.
          1992 Daihatsu Rocky SE
          1988 BMW 325 SETA

Comment

Thanks for the write up. Used it more than the Bentley.

Comment

Apparently I'm a dumbass and I'm the only one with this question or I'm the only autotragic on this thread but as I was about to remove the radiator I ran into those two transmission hoses you mentioned in step 7. I removed the top one and a little fluid came out, no biggie, but the lower one seems like its gonna keep draining, will it stop on its own or do I need to drain the ATF? Also, I removed the block plug to drain the coolant from the block and it looks like the bolt was broken? Should I get a new bolt?

Or am I being overly cautious? This is my first real attempt at anything big on a car so I just wanna make sure not to hurt her

Comment

Maybe it is because I am on my phone but I can't tell why you think that bolt looks broken. Is it because the bolt is so short? That's the correct length. It's just a plug.

As for the transmission lines, I don't know that answer.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Comment

You should always get a new bolt/crush washer for the engine block. It's a cheep way to ensure it won't leak.

With regard to the tranny lines. Less will come out of the return VS the supply line, but if you have the front end of the car (and lines) elevated, the fluid should remain in the tranny. Of course you'll loose a bit when first disconnected.

Comment

Awesome thanks for all the help and tips guys

Comment

I have a question since my car is an auto (for the time being) and all of the timing belt write-ups assume a manual.

How much trans fluid can I expect to lose from the radiator cooling lines when disconnecting them if my car is flat? Do I need to plug the lines to stop the trans fluid? Should I plan on topping off the trans fluid when done?

Ryan

Comment

Before I get started on this job (finally -- sourced all the parts I think)

are there any bolts that I should replace with new ones while I do this? Or any other things like that I should keep in mind?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to document this
                          I have done this on my 74 2002 long time ago.
                          For sure bring it up to TDC.
                          Remove the valve cover, Both valves should be closed on #1
                          I know you can just pull the belt where it is and replace but if you move the cam. You will wish you had it @ TDC just makes life easier .
                          and not that much more work.
                          Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
                            http://www.blunttech.com/ShopByVehic...20Pump&mode=PA

does it matter which of these I purchase?
                            i would stick with graf, but i'm not an expert either.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've used both Graf and Geba in the past. They both have worked fine for me.

The E30 collection:
                              1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                              1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                              1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                              1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                              1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                              1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                              1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                              2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                              2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
                              X