E30 runs RICH AS HELL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lennon View Post
    yeah, it's probably not the return line out of nowhere. just gotta see those fuel pressure numbers!
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    Yeah, fuel pressure and residual fuel pressure are both critical.
    fuel pressure is fine....................wahhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Bene View Post
    how old/dirty are your plugs? or your ignition system in general

my car ran like ass, and my exhaust looked like an old diesel in the morning. I changed the plugs and now it runs incredibly smooth.
    My ignition system is pretty darn new.

If it helps, this is my emissions test from about a month ago

Yes...2800 hydrocarbon parts per million........................................... ....
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

I'll go get another emissions test done again...I want to see if I fixed anything, if at all, and to see if it's definately failing on just idling and not high idle...then I could buy a new TPS...
      man i dont know :(
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

Do you have a leaking injector?
        -Dave
        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
          Do you have a leaking injector?
          Nope, last time I checked no injector is actually leaking gasoline...I can double check though.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
            Nope, last time I checked no injector is actually leaking gasoline...I can double check though.
            I asked you the same thing, I am not quite sure you are understanding the question.

What we are talking about is the injector dribbling fuel into the intake manifold, NOT leaking outside the injector body onto the fuel rail.

The only way to test is to watch residual fuel pressure, or pull the injectors and fuel rail, then apply fuel pressure to it, see if the injectors are "dribbling"

Crud builds up inside the injectors causing them to not shut 100% off.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Watch it be a ripped intake boot :P
              Too small? Blood Sweat and Tears Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=202389

Comment

A possibility not yet mentioned would be a bad AFM. It could be erroneously indicating higher airflow at idle which would cause the DME to widen the injector pulse width.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  A possibility not yet mentioned would be a bad AFM. It could be erroneously indicating higher airflow at idle which would cause the DME to widen the injector pulse width.
                  yeah I have a mini version of this going on. there's vacuum leaks on the intake side and I've been slowly fixing them and i'm down to a few more and I think it'll stop running a bit rich. there's definitely still a smell when I'm backing up in reverse of fue, as soon as I reverse more than a car length I can smell a bit of fuel.
                  09/1989 325i 4 Door
                  +M30 Swap
                  +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

A very good possibility, that would explain the OBC indicating the poor mileage as well.
                    -Dave
                    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      I asked you the same thing, I am not quite sure you are understanding the question.

What we are talking about is the injector dribbling fuel into the intake manifold, NOT leaking outside the injector body onto the fuel rail.

The only way to test is to watch residual fuel pressure, or pull the injectors and fuel rail, then apply fuel pressure to it, see if the injectors are "dribbling"

Crud builds up inside the injectors causing them to not shut 100% off.
                      Oh I see. I'll check that out tomorrow and post results. I couldn't today as it was raining.
                      That could be a big possiblitity though, as prior to changing the head, rewiring the C191, and changing the injectors from what I thought were my bad old ones to "known working used ones", my engine had no problems with air fuel ratios.

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                      A very good possibility, that would explain the OBC indicating the poor mileage as well.
                      I tested the AFM and adjusted it. The temp sensor is working on target. I moved the big wheel clockwise 2 clicks over to clean the car out, but almost nothing really happened. I reset the ECU to try and "re-map" it but nothing. The idle seems to have smoothened out a littleeee, hardly noticeable, but still smells like shit and getting CEL.
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

I bought a new TPS so I can get a WOT reading to complete the stomp test and see what codes I'm pulling. Hopefully that might fix some of the richness as well...even though I adjusted mine.
                        Originally posted by TSI
                        OEM+

Comment

I think my ECU might have adjusted to the change in AFM, when I turned on my car this morning from sitting overnight the CEL light came on and then 30seconds later went off and I drove the about 8min drive to school and it didn't come on at all. I didn't read the OBC or smell my exhaust fumes since I was running a tad late, but I hope I did something. I'm going to check the injectors for leaking today if the rain stops and install the new TPS on Friday and take it to emissions and see if I can pass.
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          OEM+

Comment

Small update,
                            After adjusting the AFM to be a little more "lean," my CEL seemed to have went away, but it turns back on when I'm on idle, and when I give it gas just a TAD, it'll go away.
                            My MPG's according to the OBC still are poop (11.1mpg)
                            I checked my fuel injectors, they're not leaking.
                            My exhaust smell seems to have decreased however..Not by a lot but surely noticable. After I get my TPS I'll hopefully get the stomp test to work and get my air fuel ratios on target.
                            My OBC MPG's still don't make me happy though.....even though It's not accurate, it's still accurate to a degree hahaha.

One question, would not having a cap on the fuel injectors make any difference in all of this? One of my fuel injector caps broke so on cylinder 6, the injector doesn't have a cap.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            OEM+

Comment

How did the cap break? I would be interested to know what happens when you pull all the injectors out, hooked to the rail with fuel pressure. The same as StereoInstaller mentioned.

edit: also, in my opinion, any adjustments you make to that AFM are just moving in the wrong direction. i would want a known, unmolested AFM, preferably straight from a well-running car.

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                                Oh I see. I'll check that out tomorrow and post results. I couldn't today as it was raining.
                                That could be a big possiblitity though, as prior to changing the head, rewiring the C191, and changing the injectors from what I thought were my bad old ones to "known working used ones", my engine had no problems with air fuel ratios.
                                I just read this. If you didn't have problems prior to doing that work, re-check everything a few times. Check that you wired the C191/injectors correctly, and those injectors sound questionable at best.

Comment

Working...
                                X