Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: How to swap your E30 differential (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: How to swap your E30 differential (video)

This is a video on how to swap your differential. We tried to be as clear and straightforward as possible, but obviously are not trained professionals. Use your best judgement when working on your car.

Tools needed
    - 19mm Wrench
    - 17mm Wrench
    - 3/8 Ratchet
    - 19mm Socket
    - 8mm Allen Socket
    - small Pry bar / Thick Screwdriver

Due to the difference in 318i/325i/325e manual/auto, as well as different model years, some of the bolt sizes may be different.
    We recommend using new bolts and always torque your parts to spec

Here is the video:
    Last edited by Styleprojekt; 04-04-2016, 11:05 AM.

That was good information. I sub'd.

Comment

Very nice. Just did this job last week.

Comment

Excellent video.
        Subscribed on Youtube.

Comment

great video i like how you guys show yourselves getting on each bolt a lot of videos will just tell you and not show them cranking at least one of each different bolt. will be on the lookout for more vids
          i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Styleprojekt View Post
            Due to the difference in 318i/325i/325e manual/auto, as well as different model years, some of the bolt sizes may be different.
            We recommend using new bolts and always torque your parts to spec
            FYI the only difference between all e30 model years is sometimes the half shaft bolts are e-torx instead of internal hex. Everything else is always the same across all model years.
            cars beep boop

Comment

nice video though! have been enjoying the build vids.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                FYI the only difference between all e30 model years is sometimes the half shaft bolts are e-torx instead of internal hex. Everything else is always the same across all model years.
                Thank you for the info! We just put that in there to protect ourselves so that if someone somewhere in Malaysia with an 84-316i-RHD-backwards-facing-Getrag-roofline-slicktop-32-Valve-Rotissery chicken E30 happens to have a different bolt size on their differential, that they don't cuss all over our comment section because we told them something wrong. Its easier to say, double check your bolts and specs ;)

Comment

yep have been there swapping a diff. not a fun job at all. I had one thread actually strip. had to re-tap it again.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

Can't watch

Video comes up as unavailable. Is there a repost

Comment

Originally posted by Lkp_318is View Post
                      Video comes up as unavailable. Is there a repost
                      I don't think it is available anymore. It was originally under Salt City Euro's channel, but then one half of that team split off for new ventures and I think took some of the videos with him. This may have been one of those.

Comment

James shows you step by step how to replace or swap the differential in your BMW E30.Follow us on Instagram and Facebook!https://www.instagram.com/sikkymanuf...

Be careful, differentials are heavy and are easy to knock off a jack stand.
                        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          I don't think it is available anymore. It was originally under Salt City Euro's channel, but then one half of that team split off for new ventures and I think took some of the videos with him. This may have been one of those.
                          wrong.
                          vids were lost because he didnt see a email and YouTube closed his account

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                            wrong.

vids were lost because he didnt see a email and YouTube closed his account
                            Ah dang. What a bummer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X