No announcement yet.

DIY: Inside Air Vent Tightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought you had to spin them downwards?
    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
    2875-C Towerview Road
    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

i did this but with fuzzy velcro across the top about 9 years ago
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
        I thought you had to spin them downwards?
        The OP said to spin them down, then use a screwdriver to push the tabs in and it will come out. My problem with that is, once one side is out, the gap on the other side is completely closed, so you can't get a screwdriver in and pry on it without marring the shit out of the outer frame.

Another person responded saying you can spin it all the way up and push the underside, it will unclip. I couldn't get this to work. I was pushing very hard, I'm surprised it didn't break.

I just pulled my m20 out of my track car the other night, it took my less time to do that, then it did to do this. And they are all jacked up now.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

For some reason, I thought everyone knew about this. This was the first thing I did to my E30 when I got it. Good right up! And yes, you don't need a screwdriver.
          -Pierre
          1987 535is
          1988 325is

Comment

Just did this. Works great. I'm amazed the vents don't crumble with that much force applied to them after 23 years.

If they could make vents that hold up this well, why not the dash?

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

i used 1 thin screwdriver on each side at the same time. popped both tabs out at once, and pulled the vent out all at once. i rotated them all the way down & pried from near the top of the vent. it went quick, i'm gonna try & get some rubber washers from lowes or something so they're all the same thickness, since cutting rubber hose with scissors did not meet my expectations for uniformity. they're better now though, no matter how you look at it, at least i can point 'em where i want and not just straight down.
              Originally posted by Dozyproductions
              You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

I found some thin white nylon washers at Home Depot (couldn't find black ones), painted them black, cut a slot in one side so they look like a "C", inserted them on one side of the vent with the slot cutout fitting over the pivot pin and it has worked great for three years. No need to remove the vents at all and you can't even see the washer.

Comment

THANK YOU :D you just saved me a quite bit of money <3

Comment

Just did this and have to say that I am so pleased with such a cheap fix that is un noticeable. Thanks for the write up!

Off to get my key light to start working again.
                    sigpic
                    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I thought it was just me with this problem.
                      I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                      Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

I too suffered from limp HVAC vents, but not any more, thanks to this wonderful DIY!
                        E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Bump this up for the people that havent seen this yet. Just did it to another car and worked great. The trick is to turn the vents all the way down and get your finger tips in the top and just pull down and towards you. You will feel like you will break it but you wont.
                          sigpic
                          TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Great write up!
                            92 Alpine White 325iC M-Tech II Appearance Package

Comment

It's nice to be stiff after being floppy for so long
                              Originally posted by Vokuhila
                              I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

I just rolled up some electrical tape and used a screwdriver to shove it between the cylinder and the duct opening... I hardly ever adjust my vents, and this did the job the same way :b

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                                X