No announcement yet.

How To Bypass Throttle Body Coolant Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great write up. my IX just started leaking from the gasket. will this fix be ok in south jersey? we get all the seasons and I'm just wondering if it'd be ok to do this fix. thanks in advance!

1996 M3.1991 325ix

Comment

so glad i just found this. my shit is leaking like a mother right now.

Comment

I'm sorry, pardon my ingnerance, but is there any consequences for doing this?

Comment

If you live in an extremely cold climate, sure.

For you in cali.. none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by paperclip View Post
            I'm sorry, pardon my ignorance, but is there any consequences for doing this?
            See post #14 above.

At partial or small throttle openings there is a significant pressure drop from ambient atmospheric pressure down to manifold vacuum after the throttle plate. That pressure drop produces a corresponding significant temperature drop.

It is a misconception to think that throttle icing is only a risk in extremely cold climates. The risk is actually smaller in cold climates due to less humidity carried in the air.

The risk is highest in high humidity climates while operating at or above near freezing temps, if the resulting intake pressure drop causes below freezing temps on the other side of the throttle plate. The humidity that condenses out of the air will freeze to the throttle body and throttle plate, potentially jamming the throttle open, or ultimately choking off airflow altogether.

Throttle body heat supplied by that coolant loop ensures there is never a risk of throttle icing.

if yours is leaking it's not difficult to bypass the Throttle Body Coolant Housing as described above But it's equally not difficult to simply replace the leaky gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
              If yours is leaking it's not difficult to bypass the Throttle Body Coolant Housing as described above But it's equally not difficult to simply replace the leaky gasket.
              False. It's worse

#AxemehowIknow
              Last edited by JinormusJ; 12-10-2012, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DooDanE30 View Post
                so glad i just found this. my shit is leaking like a mother right now.

sounds like a personal problem to me.

ewwwwww

Comment

If yours is leaking it's not difficult to bypass the Throttle Body Coolant Housing as described above. But it's equally not difficult to simply replace the leaky gasket.
                  Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                  False. It's worse

#AxemehowIknow
                  Okay, I'm axing. I'm curious. How is it worse to replace the gasket?

5Toes says the 3/8" brass hose splice cost $2.52.

BavAuto sells the required gasket for $1.95.

Comment

See post #14 above.

At partial or small throttle openings there is a significant pressure drop from ambient atmospheric pressure down to manifold vacuum after the throttle plate. That pressure drop produces a corresponding significant temperature drop.

It is a misconception to think that throttle icing is only a risk in extremely cold climates. The risk is actually smaller in cold climates due to less humidity carried in the air.

The risk is highest in high humidity climates while operating at or above near freezing temps, if the resulting intake pressure drop causes below freezing temps on the other side of the throttle plate. The humidity that condenses out of the air will freeze to the throttle body and throttle plate, potentially jamming the throttle open, or ultimately choking off airflow altogether.

Throttle body heat supplied by that coolant loop ensures there is never a risk of throttle icing.

if yours is leaking it's not difficult to bypass the Throttle Body Coolant Housing as described above But it's equally not difficult to simply replace the leaky gasket.
                    too bad your wisdom will fall on deaf ears. the kids will continue to do pointless mods because racecar!!!!!1 I've pointed this out many times but it doesn't matter. they'll delete the TB heater "for better air cooling" then run a half crushed, completely filthy open "cold air intake" that sucks it's air right off the back of the radiator.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

5Toes says the 3/8" brass hose splice cost $2.52.

BavAuto sells the required gasket for $1.95.

plus atleast $3 shipping ;)

Comment

I drove my car for about 20,000 miles with this hack in place, then I fixed it.

It ran much better fixed, especially in the winter. The gasket was only a couple bucks, but I replaced the hoses too, that was a few bucks more.

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Have you replaced one of these before?
                          I bought the gasket, and a new U-cap, and after putting it all together, it still leaked: NEW PARTS. This stupid little heater was keeping my car off the road for the better part of 2 weeks. Trust me, I'm OCD when it comes to small little details like this, and I tried everything I possibly could to keep the heater; if I could have, I would have. Granted not everyone will have such a horror story, there just isn't as much benefit To fixing it if it's such a headache. If you can manage to replace the gasket and it fixes the problem, by all means go for it. If not, this solution is for the other guys.
                          Last edited by JinormusJ; 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

.....Throttle body heat supplied by that coolant loop ensures there is never a risk of throttle icing.....
                            I would honestly love to see a car succumb to carb icing.
                            If you would like specifics when the outside air temp is between 80-25 deg F AND difference between the Dew point and the OAT is less than 20 deg.
                            Those are the conditions for carb ice.
                            So what are the dangers?
                            Now if the BMW had a carb Id be more worried. Fuel atomization with the drop in pressure makes for a great place for ice to form. Seeing how just air goes through the throttle plate its not as dramatic.
                            Now as the engine heats up so does all the metal attached to it. So thus the throttle body warms up as well.
                            As noted above in a post it helps the car run better when cold.
                            Oh and what if your throttle body ice of darn the engine quits and it wouod most likely be at cruise....... Pull over melt ice move on.
                            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Potentially someone could panic when their throttle is stock open and not realize they just need to kick it to neutral (it's happened before).

I live in a very high humidity locale and ambient temp will always be above 70 deg... is there ever a worry? And yeah what about the heat sink effect of the running engine, I would think it's plenty warm enough to ward off ice at least in a temperate climate.
                              Originally posted by e30guydownunder
                              Stupid German wookie winning F1 WDC and beating Webs. waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Comment

The real story is that these gaskets are designed to leak so you HAVE to remove your throttle body at which time you drill a hole in (& clean) the TPS so it doesnt fill with oil and foul. Both gaskets are under $3 at the dealer and its an hour if you are drunk (although I discourage using a drill while under the influence & do not use your hood as a backstop when you drill)
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X