Question about the belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the belts

I'm waiting for parts in the mail, and before I do the timing belt which is in there I want to know about the AC and water pump belt and the other one up front. Should I replace those? Can I reuse them? Do they have tensioners?
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Inspect them for wear. A worn belt will feel hardened, may have cracking on the inner surface or be "glazed" from wear against the pulleys.

If they look OK, I'd reuse them. But they are only a few bucks each if you want the peace of mind.

There are no tensioner pulleys on any of the three belts. The belts are tensioned by moving each respective accessory (A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump) in their adjustable brackets.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
      Inspect them for wear. A worn belt will feel hardened, may have cracking on the inner surface or be "glazed" from wear against the pulleys.

If they look OK, I'd reuse them. But they are only a few bucks each if you want the peace of mind.

There are no tensioner pulleys on any of the three belts. The belts are tensioned by moving each respective accessory (A/C compressor, alternator, power steering pump) in their adjustable brackets.

Thanks for the info! So to Remove the belts I have to loosen the respective accessories?
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

^^^ correct.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Honestly, if you're already doing the timing belt, replace them. You gotta take them off anyway and they are cheap.

Between my first and second timing belt change was 18 months. Since I DD my car, doing the v-belts is cheap insurance. I keep the old one in the car for emergencies.
          Estoguy
          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

My ac is broken and my PS is being deleted all I need is water pump belt?
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

Yarp.

Well, that and the belt that holds up your pants. You do wear pants, right?

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Yarp.

Well, that and the belt that holds up your pants. You do wear pants, right?

t
                +1 you might also keep a belt on hand to 'secure' any 'precious cargo' from moving around or making noise in the trunk.... just a thought.

--Mike
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Hahaha yea I wear pants often =) I have some family jewels that are valuable..
                  BMW tech
                  Umass Amherst
                  05 wrx sti

Comment

I like to accessorize

I'm wrestling with the power steering pump belt. Does anyone know if #11 is the pivot bolt, ie, the only bolt that absolutely has to be loosened before #13 (tension bolt) should be turned? Thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

#11 will pivot as you tighten the belt but somwill the pump itself so you have to loosen more than just that one. 15 is obvious but worth mentioning and I think 7.
                      Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 12-31-2016, 02:27 PM.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. I just saw your reply. Yes, I ended up needing to loosen 3 or 4 nuts in addition to the one on the tension bolt in order for the pump to move. If I hadn't loosened them first, the bracket would probably have become stripped or bent.

Now I'm taking on the A/C compressor. It *seems* much simpler: one nut in addition to the one on the tension bolt.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                        #11 will pivot as you tighten the belt but somwill the pump itself so you have to loosen more than just that one. 15 is obvious but worth mentioning and I think 7.

Comment

Working...
                        X