No announcement yet.

Slider radio, updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the last few days, I've been finishing up the board design that will house all the components and fit into the chassis. Here's a few iterations I was printing on card stock, just working on the physical fitment and the couple of critical connector positions.

The last task I hadn't done on the HW hacking side was figuring out where to grab the radio output signal that will become an audio input to the Pi. I needed the post-mix (so the different AM/FM/WB radio modules had already been mixed onto the same stereo bus) but pre-processing like EQ and volume, since I will be handling that myself.

I lucked out with this one. That 3-pin connector I mentioned in my last post that carries the tape deck's output - it turns out, that connector's base on the main board is right next to the pins that contain exactly the stereo signal I want. So I repurposed the tape line-level input to be a radio line-level output by cutting the L/R traces originally running to the connector base, then soldering little jumpers from the connector base to the radio output right next to it. Works like a charm! The signal is a little weak for line-level though so I've added a simple preamp stage to my board to boost it up before leaving the chassis to hook into the USB sound card.

Here, near the bottom center, you can see the two traces I've scratched out. These were leading to the 3-pin connector's base

And then here with the red jumpers bringing the radio signal out to the connector. My little jumpers look right at home amongst all the factory rework that had to be done. I'm blown away by that.... rework labor must have been cheap.

Finished up the board the other day and sent it off to be printed, now I just have to wait, then start assembling and validating the HW.

Now that I'm just waiting, I decided to go out last night and work out the details on the simpler approach to this problem that I was mentioning in my previous post. The thing to be figured out was how does the tape deck signal that a tape is in so that the input switches to tape. I put the cassette deck back in the untouched unit (I have two units now, the first is kinda a martyr) and started probing.

I'm sure someone has worked this out before but I don't know if good info is easily available, so here's all you have to do:

The power connector going to the tape deck has the following wires and function:

Green - switched 12V power
    Yellow - tape turn on. Drive to 12V to enable tape
    Orange - radio turn on. Drive to 12V to enable radio
    Red - constant 12V power
    Brown - Ground

So the yellow and orange wires seem mutually exclusive, only one is ever driven high. To switch inputs you really just need a SPDT switch between green, yellow, and orange to choose tape or radio.

Here I've connected it so that the tape input is active:

Then I hooked up a 3.5mm cable to the tape input, and all seems to be working.

So a plug-and-play add-on board that gets you BT input is totally possible and not really that difficult to install. Remove the radio, take out the cassette assembly, screw a new board in it's place, connect the two tape deck connectors into the new board, and done. I'm considering making that solution now too, just for the hell of it. Maybe sell them, I don't know. Would anyone be interested?

Comment

I would be interested in it.

Comment

Ugh. I'd probably be interested. Just when I thought I was done with the stereo...
        2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
        1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
        1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

interested, depending on price. even more so if i could send the HU to you and have you do everything... i'd probably solder my own fingers together...

Comment

Originally posted by s1uma1 View Post
            interested, depending on price. even more so if i could send the HU to you and have you do everything... i'd probably solder my own fingers together...
            The simpler method would require no soldering if I sold complete assembled boards, a few screwdrivers would be all you need. This wouldn't be as integrated into the stereo's interface as what I'm currently working on, but would get you BT input into a factory HU and keep radio functionality, which is probably all most people want.

Comment

Originally posted by jaysterling View Post
              The simpler method would require no soldering if I sold complete assembled boards, a few screwdrivers would be all you need. This wouldn't be as integrated into the stereo's interface as what I'm currently working on, but would get you BT input into a factory HU and keep radio functionality, which is probably all most people want.
              Hey.. As long as radio works and I can stream Bluetooth music and voice calls ... I'll be happy

Comment

Great idea. Would be interested in a kit if it happens.

Comment

Yes I'd be very interested in this

Comment

I'd be interested in this also.

Comment

Been out of town a lot the last month but I've got a short progress update.

Had the circuit board printed and got that back a few weeks ago.

After assembling the bare essentials on the board to boot up the Pi and Arduino and check comms between them. It works!

Then gradually just started assembling and validating circuit after circuit. This is kind of a weird and cool stage, my head unit is currently a Linux desktop computer??

Adding in the LCD to make sure all of that is still working. The Pi is sitting on an extra spacer header here so I can plug in the HDMI. Once that's removed it all fits inside.

I made some errors in the PCB though, like the voltage regulator definitely needs a heat sink, there's a missing resistor here or there, etc, so after I test every circuit I'll be to make all my edits and hopefully print the final version.

More to come!

Comment

cool! hoping your project "makes it to production". would love bluetooth with my stock radio!

Comment

This is great. In for final product.

Comment

Love it.
                            Originally posted by codyep3
                            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                            2010 F650gs twin
                            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

So cool. Kinda wish I hadn't butchered up my radio harness. Good luck man. Looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jaysterling View Post
                                This is kind of a weird and cool stage, my head unit is currently a Linux desktop computer??
                                Blah! That's funny. Your head unit is about on par with a 1980's 20 million dollar super computer.

What did you get the boot time down to?
                                Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X