Thoughts on XJ Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on XJ Cherokee

Ive found a nice looking 97' XJ with the 2.5 diesel and manual, good tires and some other goodies for a cheap price (in australia before you ask) After some googling i couldnt find alot on this specific engine/year in regards to common problems and just generally scoping out if they are something i want to fuck it. Anyone got some good knowledge about them?
    sigpic
    Delphin '87 325i Vert

Never heard of them. Can you get parts in the states for them?

Comment

Quick Googly got this on the engine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngines#425_OHV

2.5 L (2,499 cc or 152.5 cu in) I4, with two (pushrod-actuated) valves-per-cylinder and indirect fuel injection. 92.0 x 94.0 mm, the engine size is variably referred to as either 2,500 or 2,499 cc. This engine too has been called HR 492, signifying four cylinders of 92 mm bore. Timing gears, not belt.
      Used on all kinda Euro shit....from Dodges to GAZ....
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I like my XJ. Was always a S10 Blazer fan (still am) but wanted something different. Found a 97 Cherokee SE 4x4 4.0 5spd two door. It's easy to work on, and is comfortable to drive. I'm 6'3" and don't feel cramped. Mine has almost 250,000 miles on the body and close to 200,000 on the engine. I'd recommend an XJ to others.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

XJs for the win! sadly i know nothing of the diesel motors. But the vehicle itself is excellent. ive got 270k miles on mine and its still going strong.
          '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

I'm not really familiar with the diesels but I'm willing to bet they make around the same amount of torque as the gasoline counterparts. If that's true, then it should (guessing) have an AX-15 transmission. It's better than the automatic, but still sucks balls. The one down-fall of just about every jeep of that time period was how terrible they were at towing anything heavier or bigger than a jet-ski/motorcycle.

That being said, I owned 3 and absolutely loved them. The body will fall apart around the drivetrain before you have to worry about major servicing (as long as it was maintained).
            -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
            -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Loved my XJ, the reason you can't find anything about common problems for the engine is quite simply, they don't have any problems. It will be the easiest and most care free thing you'll ever own. Buy it.
              C6Z
              S2K
              VeloN

Comment

I have one, perfect winter beater that's extremely cheap to maintain and repair.

Edit: mine has the 4.0L with the auto, 3.55 ratio in the axles.

Comment

i had one with the 4.0/5 speed manual. it outran ricer civics and would blow through feet of snow. had 250k on it when i sold it a few months ago. i miss it but the wrx i bought has carpet and AC and is quiet unlike my jeep was. the jeep was a fantastic car though. bought it for $1200 and put maybe a grand or so into it over a couple years. sold it for $2000

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                  IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Comment

I hated having to work on my BIL womans XJ I didnt think it was that easy to work on at all .... I hated that thing

The do really well off the beaten path and in the winter time. If they have been maintained they are one of the more reliable Pentastar platforms built from that time frame. If its not a rust bucket and been maitianed decently then go for it.

All this said I think I will stick with my FJ :)
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

I'm going to look at a 2000 Cherokee Sport this weekend. Any areas that I should focus in on in particular? I've never owned a jeep before but I'm looking for something that will do winter duty and haul stuff around. Basically a utility truck that I can spend $1500 on, use for a year or two and sell for $1500.

Comment

Working...
                        X