Difference between e and i. WTF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
    Or you can do them in the firing order and only have to turn the crank 360 deg total =P 22mm wrench
    And here I thought you had to rotate the crank 2x to get all 6 pairs,of lobes to point down
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      And here I thought you had to rotate the crank 2x to get all 6 pairs,of lobes to point down

It actually may be 2x.. Did mine a long time ago but the crank spins 720 deg for each 4 stroke cycle
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Has he ever looked under his hood?
        That's the scary part- he did his own oil changes and minor maintenance when
        he had that car. Wonder if he ever changed the plugs?

He was a military doc for 40 years.... which leaves me.... feeling really bad for the army air corps guys who got sick...

hee

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Where is this German mechanic located? I should stop in my E with an I motor and see what crazy talk he'll come up with then.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            My father in law is convinced that his 325e had a 4- banger.

Some things are just not worth arguing about.

t
            Not BMW related, but car related. My Dad swears up and down that he pulled a 318 from his 60's plymouth and dropped a 383 right in its place.. Now if any of you are into old mopars, you know that a 318 is a small block and a 383 is a big block, and they use different transmission bellhousings and engine mounts etc..
            Well there is the poly 318 which is more like a big block, and I tried up and down to expain to my father that he had a poly 318 and he didnt wanna hear any of it.
            (we had an 80's dodge truck with a 318 and he was convinced we could just swap a big block in without changing the tranny)
            yes, some things are not worth arguing haha

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              What I like to do is lift up a corner and turn the wheel in gear.
              I know you didn't ask but funny we all have different ways to do it.
              I took a completely different approach and removed the M20, and put an S50 in its place.. hehe. no valve adj for me

Comment

...but your lifters start ticking when you suck air in a long sweeper...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I always remove the plugs. I go through it a few times, especially with a high mileage engine.
                  Buy a few eccentrics and screws. Mine cost me sixty cents apiece.
                  There will usually be a couple that are worn, thus not staying in adjustment.
                  Adjust, crank it over for awhile, check again. The ones that are out of adjustment need new eccentrics.
                  If someone ran it with the valves loose, that tends to flatten them.
                  Put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, just in case you slip.
                  I sometimes use a higher gauge as a no go , to make sure the valves are never too loose.
                  These motors are hard to tell by sound alone, that is why I know for certain they are tits on before I even restart it.

Comment

yeah, I replaced all the screws on mine, because they started to yield and not stay tight. The eccentrics do flatten out as you say.

Another thing to check are the rocker clips. they should be "springy" and the rockers shouldn't be able to move side to side without the clip pushing it back. I had a few that had been bent past their yield point or something, and the rocker could slide back and forth with no resistance. Not good. The nice thing is, the clips just pull off so they can easily be replaced if you have the cover off.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                    X