Acrylic vs Polycarbonate Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acrylic vs Polycarbonate Lenses

I have been doing some research trying to decide between glass, acrylic or polycarbonate lenses for my fog lights. I thought I would share with you some interesting information that I found useful.

How are polycarbonate and acrylic different ?

Strength
    Acrylic and Polycarbonate are both half the weight of glass and yet both of these plastics are much stronger than glass.
    Acrylic has 17 times the impact resistance of glass. Polycarbonate has 250 times the impact resistance of glass.
    Acrylic is very rigid whereas polycarbonate can be bought in flexible grades. Acrylic cracks more easily than polycarbonate under stress.
    Light & Clarity
    Acrylic also has better clarity than glass, with a light transmittance of 92 percent.
    Polycarbonate has a light transmittance of 88 percent.
    Acrylic can be polished to restore its clarity, while polycarbonate cannot.
    Working with Acrylic & Polycarbonate
    Acrylic can be used at temperatures ranging from -30 degrees Fahrenheit to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. It may expand and contract with changes in temperature although it won’t permanently shrink over time.
    Polycarbonate can handle temperatures up to 240 degrees Fahrenheit. Polycarbonate is also highly resistant to chemicals such as gasoline and acids.
    Cutting
    Both acrylic and polycarbonate can be cut with conventional tools such as saws or routers, though acrylic cuts easier than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate fights the initial push of a saw or router at the start of a cut.
    Drilling
    Acrylic will crack if it is drilled near an edge or with a drill bit not designed for plastic. Polycarbonate typically does not crack when being drilled even if drilled close to the edge with a standard drill bit.
    Polishing
    The edges of acrylic can be polished smooth if necessary; polycarbonate cannot be polished.
    Heat bending
    Heat bending works better with acrylic than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate can be cold formed or bent without heating.
    Gluing
    Gluing with cements designed for acrylic and polycarbonate, acrylic gives a cleaner glue joint than polycarbonate.
    Cleaning
    Both acrylic and polycarbonate are easy to clean. The best choice for cleaning is a microfibre or 100-percent cotton cloths.
    Acrylic has a low chemical resistance and needs more specific cleaners. When cleaning acrylic, it is best to use only mild soap and water or a plastic cleaner
    Polycarbonate has a higher chemical resistance than acrylic; it can be cleaned by harsher cleaners containing chemicals such as ammonia.
    Neither plastic should be cleaned with solvents.
    Durability
    Both acrylic and polycarbonate are weather resistant and expand and contract with temperature changes without long-term or permanent shrinkage.
    Both acrylic and polycarbonate can scratch, so wool rags and paper towels, which are made from abrasive binding agents, should be avoided.
    Acrylic is more likely to chip than polycarbonate because it is less impact-resistant. It does not scratch easily, however, and will not yellow over time.
    Polycarbonate has low flammability, while acrylic will burn slowly and is not recommended in areas where flames may be present.
    Cost
    Polycarbonate is more expensive than acrylic. It tends to cost about 35% more.

I highlighted the sections I found to be of the most importance when it comes to determining which material to choose for a lens cover.

I think based on this information I will probably go with polycarbonate lenses due to their greater impact resistance, durability and a chemical resistance. I will wrap them in Lamin-X film just for good measure, to ensure they do not yellow. Acrylic does have a clear advantage when it comes to yellowing but a clear disadvantage in areas such as impact resistance and chemical resistance.

Glass does still have the overall advantage chemical resitance and providing an OEM look but is inferior in terms of impact resistance, light clarity and cost.

So, what material do you prefer for your lenses?

Wow, awesome info! My replacement glass lenses from Russia that I ordered last month are expected to arrive today, which is unfortunate after reading this, haha. Wish I would have went with the Acrylic or Polycarbonate... cheaper and less prone to cracking. I bought a brand new set of ZKW fogs, cracked one within a month, replaced the whole thing, cracked that one a year later. I'll try the glass, and if that cracks again, I'll go with one of these plastic options.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I really like the look of glass but it's just fragile... there is a reason nobody makes glass lens automotive lights anymore. Try putting some of the thick 40 mil Latin-X on there. It should help repel chipping and cracking.

Comment

Working...
      X