Any New Spark Plug Ideas Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any New Spark Plug Ideas Out There?

Here is the situation. Changing spark plugs is not the 5 minute job it used to be, as some of you turbo people (depending on your setup) out there may already know. With all that turbo hardware in the way of the spark plugs, it has become a weekend affair, that I don't look foward to. To be quite honest!

I've been using Bosch W6DC plugs (2 heat ranges colder) with half decent results. Until they get fouled... This fouling may happen prematurely due to fuel map experimentation....etc.

In any case, I need to find a plug that can handle the fouling better, and/or has better durability in general. Basically a plug that I won't have to change as often.

Now I know that platinums last longer. I've also heard the same about the iridiums. I do seem to have a narrow minded problem with NGK products, and all else japanese, except for their sound systems.

If someone out there, based on their experience, can direct me to a good performing plug, with a part#, so that I can buy the proper heat range, that would be highly appreciated!

My friend installed Denso IK20 in a turbo civic. They have worked very well so far, unfortunately can't comment on long term reliability as there arent even 500 miles on them yet. From what I hear they last/perform well. They are popular with the import crowd, so I was skeptical, however I checked them after a day and they looked good, nice clean burn. I have normal (non-irridium) densos in my car and they have done just fine.
    Old and improved:

Comment

it may just be one of those sacrifices in turbo charging a car that was never meant to be turbocharged.

but good luck in your search, keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
        My friend installed Denso IK20 in a turbo civic. They have worked very well so far, unfortunately can't comment on long term reliability as there arent even 500 miles on them yet. From what I hear they last/perform well. They are popular with the import crowd, so I was skeptical, however I checked them after a day and they looked good, nice clean burn. I have normal (non-irridium) densos in my car and they have done just fine.
        I will certainly put them on my list of possibilities. But not the non-iridium ones. The Bosch DC6 ones that I'm using are very good, but with all this new technology out there, just curious if there is a more durable and perhaps better performing alternative out there.

Comment

Originally posted by E30godz
          it may just be one of those sacrifices in turbo charging a car that was never meant to be turbocharged.

but good luck in your search, keep us posted.
          Well not really. There are guys out there with much better engineered setups over mine, that can change their plugs in no time. NO clearance problems. Plus the fact that I'm 6.4 with slightly larger hands, does not help matters either. That is why I always call my 5.5 mechanic buddy, who can do everything in half the time than me. Unless you are talking about the carbon fouling of course. This is simply a case of getting the tuning spot on, and just as importantly, the right heat range and gap for the spark plugs.

Going back to plugs, I await any further feedback on this.

Comment

This is the plug I use. I am N/A right now. I have never had a problem with these plugs on fuel injection or carbureted. They work very well and smooth out the power band nicely if you are running aftermarket non resistor wires and a hot coil. You can probably find them cheaper if you look around. I think I paid about $6ea. for mine.

Comment

Thanks mcgrath! I've always liked Beru products. I'll give these a try!

Comment

Well, I just went ahead and bough them NGK Iridiums today. 2 months from now, I'll now if it was money spent well or not.

Comment

If your plugs keep getting fouled, you need to solve the problem. Either you're running too rich, or your plugs are too cold. If you have measured accurately (pre-cat) and have good AFR, then move 1 heat range up.

I've had very good luck with the NGK iridium plugs @ 1 range colder on an FI motor of mine (928 with 5.5PSI non-intercooled). My plugs are very clean.
                  Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
                  '99 M3 / Track Car
                  '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
                  '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Working...
                  X