tires move in while car is in the air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires move in while car is in the air

Here's a wierd one. With the back tires in the air and my foot on the clutch the tires will move when I push the shifter into first gear, clutch fully engaged. it does not last long and does not even require me to hit the brake to stop it (It will stop on its own after a few seconds).

Any theories? This seems odd to me.

I'm just trying to piece together why my tranmission is so hard to go into gear. I feel like its never been nice since first assembly of the engine/trans after a rebuild.

The engine is an 2.7i, it has a dual mass flywheel. I had a new clutch pressure plate and release bearing installed at the time of assembly. there's also a Z3 shifter with new bushings installed.

The car does not go into first all that easy (requires mild forcing) and definetely does not find second all that easy, especially in the high rev zone. Another thing I noticed is when I release the clutch in nuterel is I can hear what sounds like a rotating mass that goes for a while and then becomes silent.

Once these issues became apparent it was recommended to swap out the transmission as the syncro's might have been worn. Fast forward to the transmission swap. I had a spare trans from an I car. I used the trans but kept all the flywheel/clutch/bearing components from my ETA car. The issue still remains.

I've never driven an E-30 before mine so I have nothing to compare it with. All I can say is it's not what I imagined at all. I'm looking for any insight on where to go next. When I was doing the trans swap I though it would be a good idea to grab the flywheel clutch components from the I car but my torx bit broke of the first bolt so I veto'd that option.

On your E-30's is the shifting buttery smooth or can it require force at times to find it's gear?

Comment

Sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The clutch is definitely misbehaving and not fully disengaging.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Alright... I spent the whole day today pulling the transmission, replaced my twin mass flywheel with the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing from the 325i parts car that shifted beautifully before I started pulling it apart.

The issue is still there. shifting to second gear when accelerating hard does not work. It is like I'm hitting a wall and selector will not go into the gear. If I keep my foot on the clutch and pull at it again it does eventually find the gear but by then the moment is missed the revs have dropped and it sucks the big one.

The way I look at there isn't much left to swap out. Its either the Z3 shifter or the clutch slave cylinder, everything else has been swapped. Any ideas on what to try first?

Comment

This could be a bad clutch master cylinder.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              This could be a bad clutch master cylinder.
              OK, thats what I will try next. The Clutch MC and the slave cylinder at the same time. Here's hoping!

Ian

Comment

Well, I’m a little embarrassed to say this but the resolution ended up being a new Delrin Jaffster Shift knob.

I discovered the issue after swapping out the clutch Master and Slave cylinders and the problem was still there. I had the shift knob lying around and figured I would give it a shot. I always new the shift knob was kind of an issue being the it would fly off the lever all the time. But I never thought it would end up resolving my issue all together.

I guess it could be due to a few things, me never really driving the car until after the whole rebuild, a Z3 shift lever and shift knob that would fly off every time I aggressively slammed into the 2nd position.

Anyways, I wanted to make sure I updated this post so that if another person ends up searching with the same issues they can maybe learn a thing or two from me. I should note that the tires no longer move while the car is in the air clutch in moving to first gear. That resolution might be chalked up to the flywheel/clutch/Trans/MC and SC combo from the 325i car being a proper combination. One thing I noticed was when putting the MC and SC from the 325i car on the trans I feel as though the clutch engagement has moved up a little higher on the pedal.

All in all I’m at a point where I’m confident when grabbing second gear at speed which is all I really wanted to obtain. Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                X