Judge my Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge my Rust

Here is the underneath of my '91 325ix- mostly the rear. Let me know what you think... I don't think this is not too rusty with 2 notable exceptions. underneath the right side- there is a channel that has a couple tubes in it- vent for the gas tank? It's obliterated. Also- there is a hole on the left side near the spring- you'll see it. I poked around to see if anything was soft and didn't find anything other than those two areas. Oh and the cat converter.

Thanks

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Edit: People keep asking me if it's rusty, and I have little experience with these cars, so I'm asking you experienced people. Also- if this is posted in the wrong spot please move it. Thx
    Last edited by NCTerp; 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM.

Looks more or less rust free. Not sure if the hole by the spring is supposed to be there or not. Might just be surface rust, or it'll need a small patch... weird spot for a rust hole though. The piece with the tubes in it looks like a bolt on piece, no big deal. Same for the cat.

Comment

Compared to most IX'es I see, you get a solid A-.

The rust over the spring should be repaired with new metal. It's a common rust point on these cars. Yours is not horrible, but it won't get any better.

We just repaired the metal shield over those fuel vent lines on our IS. Not one of BMW's better designs. It is held on with 4 plastic nuts. Be careful removing it as you don't want to damage the studs that are welded to the sheet metal. I melted mine off with a soldering iron just to be safe. Removing the shock helps immensely. Clean it all up, treat any surface rust and replace the shield. IIRC, it was around $45 from the stealer. Also follow those lines into the cabin, where they run through a metal tube (its under the rear seat). See if the metal tube is in good condition. Ours was NOT, and we had to fabricate a replacement as it was letting water into the car when rinsing wheel wells.

The cat converter is just a heat shield. My cars lost theirs to rust long ago. You can just pull it off. Don't park the car in a hayfield, though.

Do check your metal brake and fuel lines for corrosion. They tend to fail when the car is at least 100 miles from home. Clean up and treat any surface corrosion. IF they look worse, plan on replacing them before they pop during a hard stop.

The E30 collection:
      1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
      1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
      1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
      1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
      1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
      1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
      1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
      2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
      2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

The only rust that is mildly concerning is on the exhaust.

Comment

I'm actually concerned about the apparent leaking going on at the back of your diff. I know mine doesn't look like that.
          Estoguy
          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

the metal shield over those fuel vent lines
            Under that, there is a metal 'Y' pipe that rusts out even in our relatively low-rust environment- pull the remains of your
            cover, and find the 3 hoses that are supposed to hook together, and figure out how
            to get them back together. Your fuel- smell problems will get a bit better.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

As far as rust goes, I give it a solid 2/10. You could use more flaking and holes in various locations, but it looks like you've got a solid start. Keep driving on snowy salted roads without washing your car and you'll be a total rust bucket like the rest of us in no time.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
              X