Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm at a loss. Recently A/C button light (snowflake) turned on its own, and won't tur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at a loss. Recently A/C button light (snowflake) turned on its own, and won't tur

Recently the snowflake button lit up (randomly), and rpms jumped to 2000 when in Neutral. Button is not dressed in and still lights up.

A/C does not have belt on compressor, but have a feeling whatever is making the a/c light on, is tricking the computer to ramp up rpms.

Any idea how I can disconnect this system, I removed the button and cleaned the contacts , no help. Thanks in advance - not sure where else to trouble shoot. I don't think its a air leak, because rpms drop to normal when in gear. I can't figure out how to manually turn off, whatever is sending the signal that is turning on the a/c thanks in advance.

Sounds like some sort of short to me. The rpm rises because that's part of the function of the button: that way, the engine doesn't stall at idle due to the extra load of the compressor. You'll have to take a look at the wiring and pay attention for broken sheathing or bare wire somewhere.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      Sounds like some sort of short to me. The rpm rises because that's part of the function of the button: that way, the engine doesn't stall at idle due to the extra load of the compressor. You'll have to take a look at the wiring and pay attention for broken sheathing or bare wire somewhere.
      Thanks for advise. There was a wire in the engine bay on a/c compressor side, that had some cracks in it, touching a ground wire near the valve cover creating a short, and turning on the a/c frost button in the console - which was tricking the computer to ramp up RPMs. So I protected the wire with electrical tape, and zip tided it away, and I have a nice 900rpm humming in neutral.

Comment

Working...
      X