Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little advice... (91 318iS, need engine work)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little advice... (91 318iS, need engine work)

Hello all,

I own a 1991 318iS with 41k on it. The car is entirely original down to every panel, the paint, and interior. Very nice car.

Somehow, a foreign object worked its way into one of the cylinders, so I am faced with some amount of engine work. I will not know what I am faced with until I pull the engine and remove the cylinder head, but I'm seeking some advice on how to handle this. I have three options as I see it.

1. Rebuild (the extent is yet to be determined) the current motor
    2. Install a Metric Mechanic 2100 Rally M42
    3. Sell the car as-is to someone who will meticulously put it back together (not really what I want to do but have considered it, my personal life is a mess right now... but I doubt I will get anything decent considering I have a lot of money into it.)

I am unwilling to leave the M42 platform. If I rebuild current motor, it remains a 100% original car with excellent provenance. If I drop in a MM Rally 2100, it becomes less than 100% original but still very close, and an absolute screamer!

I'm most apt to rebuild the current motor but I'm curious to hear everyones thoughts on the other two options. I do have a lot invested in the car and absolutely love it. Please, no negative comments, I'm looking for constructive feedback only.

Thanks!
    '71 E-Type Jag
    '91 318iS

As a 318is owner who recently rebuilt his engine, I have some thoughts. Mods may want to move this thread to the M42 section and OP you'll get a lot of good advice in that forum.

1. A MM engine and all the extras is nearly $10k ... you can do a rebuild for a lot less to a stock motor. If you prefer to keep bone stock, then that is your answer. I'm not sure what "foreign object" could make it to a cylinder unless it was an internal part ... then a whole new engine may be what you need anyhow.

2. A MM engine wont hurt the value of the car given what everyone is calling the "E30 Tax". You may need a new engine anyways.

3. Either option is a lot of work, so if your personal life is in shambles and you don't have a safe place to work on it as the weather gets colder then selling it could be an option. You wont get top dollar for a car that has a bad engine IMO.

4. An older car with 41k miles will still need maintenance done ... do all that with the engine out or any replacements you think might need being done for miles of post swap enjoyment.

5. Check M42club.com for any mods like mess under the intake, etc .. that may be appropriate to do to the car.

6. Have fun - its a great platform to work from and a metric mechanic engine would be sweet!

7. Post up a build thread and show us some pics!
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Decided to rebuild the motor and leave the car as 100% original...

Should have her back within a few weeks.
      '71 E-Type Jag
      '91 318iS

Comment

if and when my M42 engine takes a dump, I am interested in a MM engine, but damn $$$

so far, odo stopped at 174k, so I don't know how many miles I actually have - but it's running pretty strong and smooth! trying not to jinx myself

Comment

Isn't this the infamous EAG 318is? Jesus, sorry man.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
          '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
          '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
          '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

^Yeah... tough break. Best of luck.
            I would definitely recommend looking at some builds over at m42club. Even if you want to keep it mostly original, there are some things you should consider changing just for reliability (update to m44 timing components, 360° main bearings, maybe the "mess under the intake...)
            diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by rlich8 View Post
              Decided to rebuild the motor and leave the car as 100% original...

Should have her back within a few weeks.
              Nice. Like I said. Post up a build thread.

Comment

The only thing I can think of that would have fallen in is the plastic pintle cap from an injector. That happened on my original engine and I think it just burned up or something because it never caused any issues. The engine finally took a dump when the timing chain came loose, and at that point I went with a MM 2.1L M42 (yes, $$$$$...not a great value in terms of horsepower per dollar compared to engine swaps, but some of us are devoted to the M42!).

OP, don't do a 100% stock rebuild. The E30 M42 has some major design flaws that are easy to deal with and will make the engine MUCH more reliable. The main shitty part of the engine is the timing case. The deflector sprocket itself is prone to failure, and if that doesn't break the timing case itself breaks apart around the sprocket. Get yourself a 1994+ M42 timing case and use that. It uses a plastic deflector rail in place of the stupid sprocket. Just make sure to get the later model timing case gasket with it because it is a different material and design. A clean used late-M42 case should be pretty inexpensive from a parts car.

Also, look into replacing the crank thrust bearing and putting in a full 360 degree pair. The stock thrust bearing is only on one half-shell, which is bullshit. Someone else here might be able to chime in, but I think that you can just straight up stick in two of the thrust halves (confirm this when you get in there I guess).

Sign up over on M42Club.com too, there is a ton of knowledge there to draw from.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                  The only thing I can think of that would have fallen in is the plastic pintle cap from an injector. That happened on my original engine and I think it just burned up or something because it never caused any issues. The engine finally took a dump when the timing chain came loose, and at that point I went with a MM 2.1L M42 (yes, $$$$$...not a great value in terms of horsepower per dollar compared to engine swaps, but some of us are devoted to the M42!).

OP, don't do a 100% stock rebuild. The E30 M42 has some major design flaws that are easy to deal with and will make the engine MUCH more reliable. The main shitty part of the engine is the timing case. The deflector sprocket itself is prone to failure, and if that doesn't break the timing case itself breaks apart around the sprocket. Get yourself a 1994+ M42 timing case and use that. It uses a plastic deflector rail in place of the stupid sprocket. Just make sure to get the later model timing case gasket with it because it is a different material and design. A clean used late-M42 case should be pretty inexpensive from a parts car.

Also, look into replacing the crank thrust bearing and putting in a full 360 degree pair. The stock thrust bearing is only on one half-shell, which is bullshit. Someone else here might be able to chime in, but I think that you can just straight up stick in two of the thrust halves (confirm this when you get in there I guess).

Sign up over on M42Club.com too, there is a ton of knowledge there to draw from.
                  Listen to this guys advice. He knows what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                    Listen to this guys advice. He knows what he is talking about.
                    Ssshhhhhhhh...I can't have people thinking I know what I am doing!

(thanks for the props)

Comment

Ssshhhhhhhh...I can't have people thinking I know what I am doing!

(thanks for the props)
                      Quit posting on the internet then. Everything posted on the internet is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                        Quit posting on the internet then. Everything posted on the internet is true.
                        That's true, in about 1,000,000 places I read that the M42 is better than the M20 in every single way.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                          That's true, in about 1,000,000 places I read that the M42 is better than the M20 in every single way.
                          Well...duh. 42 > 20, AND it is the meaning of life.

Comment

Well...duh. 42 > 20, AND it is the meaning of life.
                            #wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                            X