Starter Removal Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Removal Questions

I have removed a starter from one of my other e30's without too much trouble, so I thought. I am trying to take the one out of my 86 325e and am stuck. I got the bolt out of the block and the wires loose from it. However, I can't seem to remove the bolt that attaches it to the tranny. It seems like to head on the bolt is 17mm and the nut is 14mm. I can't get a wrench on the bolt end and can't get a socket on the nut end. How do I remove this bolt? It is the bolt on the bottom. There just isn't enough clearance to get in there with tools. I need help please. Thanks.

Install good engine/trans mounts, you will now have sufficient clearance to access the bolts.

Alternatively, you can use about 3' of extensions/ujoints from the front of the car to get on the nut, open end wrench on the head of the bolt.

Comment

I think that's similar to what I did. Just get a shitload of extensions and guide the socket onto the bolt. It was the only way I was was able to get enough clearance to actually turn the wrench.

91 318is

Comment

On mine there's two that mount to the tranny. They are both torx bolts with 17mm nuts on the starter side. That back one is a bitch to get to.

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Working...
        X