Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust... what do you use to unstick stuck nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust... what do you use to unstick stuck nuts?

I am trying to disconnect the differential from the driveshaft but the four nuts that hold them together seem to be rusted solid. I have tryed a little WD-40 to try and get a little something in there, but so far no good. What should I try, brute force(a breaker bar), or what?

thanks guys

try lots of heat...i had a little propane torch and a lot of PB blaster to get off the exhaust manifold to downpipe nuts.

Comment

Liberal amounts of PB blaster, let it soak overnight.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

I've loosened those on a couple cars but never seen them rusted.

I just put the car in gear and put the ebrake on. Then I hang a box wrench (what are they, 19mm?) and get to the side of the car and use a foot to loosen it. Works like a charm.

Comment

I was thinking heat, from a torch, but as a last resort. I don't have any PB blaster in the house, even though I did, so I may have to go buy some. And I think I am going to try a little brute force a.k.a what bill wrote. Thanks guys

Comment

I have found that an oxy acetylene torch works quite well for loosening stubborn bolts and nuts.

Nick

Comment

its all about the heat. jsut heat em up for a couplemo minutes and they will loosen right up. try not to use a breaker bar cause you run the risk of sheering the bolts off.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCip
                try not to use a breaker bar cause you run the risk of sheering the bolts off.
                I did that once in our Jeep, trying to get the seats out, and presto i took the head right off the bolt. However, in my situation it does not matter because it is a parts car and is going to the junkyard in about 2 weeks. Come over to the community board to see what is happening to the car before it goes to the junkyard.

Comment

problem "solved". a little grinder action to wear the bolts into nothingness, and a chisel and hammer and presto they come off in about 2 hours work. stupid rust. surprisingly the threads on both the nut and bolt were pretty clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                    Liberal amounts of PB blaster, let it soak overnight.

-Charlie
                    One of the greatest substances ever invented.

Comment

PB Blaster or liquid wrench, whiever is handy. Then just let them chill.

Then LOTS and LOTS of VIOLENCE.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X